Finally going to take the step forward

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mark8par, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mark8par

mark8par Bit Poster

Hi,

I have finally decided to take a career change from selling cars to something that i am actually more interested in but i could do with a little guidance if possible.

i am looking at the following course path
    CompTIA A+
    MCDST (but i have read this is now pretty much out of date)

I would then be following up with the MCSE.

I have looked at the costs of doing this via computeach which would cost about £1400 per year (i anticipate it should take around 2 years).

I would really appreciate another opinion or any ideas as i am a little in the dark.

Thnakyou

Mark

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome:)

I find it very doubtful you will do all of this in two years especially if you have no experience.

Let me say that the MCDST is not out of date, there are just new tracks for it which focus on Vista instead of XP and XP will be around alot longer than Vista imo.

The MCSE is a cert for people who already working as IT Engineers and consist of 7 very difficult exams, MIcrosoft recommend that you have at least 12-18 months experience of supporting a 250+ multi user multi server environment.

But the A+ and MCDST are begginer certs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yep GBL is right.. also, the CompTIA N+ is another entry level cert that will look good on your CV.

And.. consider *self study* i have read way to many sob stories over the years, from new people to IT going with a training provider to gain little more than a $hit load of debt :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. mark8par

mark8par Bit Poster

Thankyou for the replies, i agree with what you are saying and i dont expect to get myself the mcse qualification and get a job. I want to work through the lower end first and also get some experience, the mcse is a goal to work towards for the future.

5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

^ and it can be acheived as Craigie from this board will attest

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

The good thing about the self-study route is that if you decide it's not right for you, then you haven't wasted a ton of cash in the process.

Thing about private training courses though, the majority of it is self study based anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said^

why pay someone a lot of money and probably get yourself into debt for them just to send you some books and tell you to read them?

And just to add I would always recommend a college over a training provider as you will know for a fact that the tutors are qualified and know what they are talking about.

Anyone can claim to be qualified and read some speel from a book if you can't see them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?