Finally Getting Somewhere ...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by PaulC, Feb 12, 2007.

1. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

I've got two interviews this week for 2nd line/network type roles a step up from the 1st/2nd line support desk role I'm doing now. It's taken a while, but the addition of 290 to my CV really seems to have increased the type of job I'm being offered more into line with where I want to go (Desktop/2nd line/Server stuff). Hopefully I'll get one of them or something else will come up, my CV seems to being picked up enough and either going via a recruiter or I'm applying for 1 job a day.

The good thing is that I'm happy with where i work (just no job progression available), I've plenty of responsibilities but I need a new challenge, but as I'm happy I don't have to rush but can wait on a job I want. I also work with someone who used to do some IT recruitment whose given me loads of advice and also worked out when to listen and when not to listen to recruiters who phone, especially when they tell you they don't believe you've enough experience to go up a step and there 1st line position is perfect for you!!

Hopefully I'll have a nice new job in the next few weeks, wages don't particularly bother me, I'm more interested in something that will give me lots of experience.

Certifications: MCDST;MCSA: Messaging;MCSE
    WIP: CCENT
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Great news, good luck with the interviews! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, knock them down :)

Good luck.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Good luck! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

fingers crossed mate

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Best Wishes.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Knock 'em dead, mate. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

Well, I've had my first interview and got feedback. They decided not to take me on. It was a small team environment in a local private school near where I live. However they needed someone who could jump straight into the fire so to speak with switches and vLANs. They did however say that I came across superb in the interview and my Windows based skills, AD, Exchange etc... were excellent and they'd have taken me on if it weren't for the need of having someone who didn't need training in the other field.

Well, onto tomorrow. More of a company like where I presently work, but a proper 2nd line role and much more technical. Going off the job spec sheet I was sent I can do 75% of the stuff. Just need to sell myself again and hope they don't want someone who knows everything but wants to learn and wants a challenge!

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It's great that you got immediate feedback on your interview! Very promising, in my opinion. In time, you'll be able to leverage your skills to move forward in that career direction, if that's where you want to go with it.

This other opportunity sounds great. Keep us posted, and best of luck! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Good luck Paul - hope all goes well!

12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Much luck - and congrats on the quick postive feedback - very valuable, and often quite rare in any industry.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

That is good feedback, nice of them to be so supportive as well. Good luck with your next interview, let us know how you get on! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  14. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

good luck!

15. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Best of luck with the second interview mate!

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  16. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

Well, I've not heard back from interview 2 yet. The job itself would give me quite a lot of experience, but I can't but my finger on why, I just didn't get the best vibe from the place, so I'm really not to bothered if I don't get that.

I'll keep putting my CV out, keep studying and hopefully that break will come. My biggest issue seems to be that I've no experience of actual switches and routers, anyone any ideas how I could get round this?

17. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Good luck mate.

You could try and get some cheap switches and routers off ebay and have a play around with them.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  18. PaulC

PaulC Nibble Poster

Not heard anything from job 2 so we'll forget that one, not sure I'd have taken it anyway. Had another interview last week. Similar out come to job 1 where they needed someone with more experience and didn't have time to train. Guy did say he though I was very good though and had a great CV so asked if he could keep my details as he should have another position where they'd be able to train in the next 6 to 9 months.

Keep plugging away, but it shows the jobs are out there, I just need to find one now where they don't need the 'job in the deep end guy ASAP' and can give me training on what I don't know.