Finally Decided

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Might be worth ditching the bband software and buying a router that you can configure with all the ADSL details. If you are still using AOL then you can connect with IMAP or POP3 for email. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

ALL apps will have to be installed twice.

And if your broadband provider requires that you install software... then you're using the wrong provider. Eeesh.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. BosonMichael

I don't recall there being a mobo tray in my P180... but there may be. Wasn't a factor in my purchase, in any case.

If you already HAVE XP, then yeah, by all means, keep using that. I thought you were purchasing XP, then purchasing Vista.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sorry I didn't mean tray just where the mobo lies in the case. so the cable go along the side panel (the one that you never usually open)

I am just gonna stick with my copy of XP and my hard drive (obviously I'll have to format and reinstall because of the new drivers etc) then maybe get Vista in the future. I just don't see me using it over XP though.

I'd be more inclined to wait for Windows 7.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. greenbrucelee

gonna get rid of AOL as soon as the subscription runs out.

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am pretty sure Vista is going to be around for a while, if you have the time you should really use it and learn it it's definitely going to benefit you. I am using vista at home as on my main pc and I have no issues what so ever with games or any other thing that I do such as word, music, movies, etc. I know it's more expensive at the moment but I think it's worth it. Plus what better way to learn an other then using it on a daily basis.:twisted:

Everyone has their preference, I understand that and honestly both OSes are great but it's just one of those things that we have to learn eventually and the only way to do that is to use. Especially now when you'll build that powerful system next month you're going to benefit from all the vista features that are not in xp and your system wont be slow.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. BosonMichael

Totally missed this post, GBL...

I haven't heard of it. It gets no play in any of the gaming mags. Therefore... it must be crap. :D Or, at best, not worth considering, given what you COULD get for cheap.

But you said 1TB just for OSes. When you say "just for OSes", that's just for OSes... not apps and games and data and stuff. But, as I see you found out later in this thread, you don't need to install apps to your OS drive.

I used to partition my drive to keep my OS separate from my data. No longer; it's not worth the hassle, in my opinion. Not for a gaming box.

I know where my non-recoverable data is - e-mail, music, pictures, save games - so I back that stuff up periodically. But everything's on C:/.

Pfffft. Credit crunch, smedit crunch. You can get an apartment with your new IT job.

8. BosonMichael

I won't allow *anything* to directly touch the underside of the mobo other than the brass standoff screws. But that's just based on what I've seen: many years ago, my brother's mobo shorted out upon installation because he let something touch the underside. Current ran through, something shorted out, and he had to get a replacement.

9. greenbrucelee

The cables wont touch the mobo, there is another layer of panel under the mobo to stop this happening.

10. greenbrucelee

I see your point but I still have to have XP as I still need to learn that fully.

11. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Thats the beauty of a duel boot system, you can get some face time with both OSes. I see what your saying though, master XP then move on to Vista. Theprof is also right, getting some hands on with Vista can only help you in the long run. It is similar to XP, but there are a lot of changes. Maybe install a trial version as a virtual machine and have a play.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  12. greenbrucelee

I have been thinking more and more about it today and I will get Vista and do the dual boot thingy. What I may do is use XP primaraly for my videos and pics with some game and use vista as the OS I have Office on With some games depending on how much of a performance hit I take.

13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I am pretty sure that in general the apps and games are going to run pretty smoothly on the machine you're building. It's older pc that run slower with vista.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  14. greenbrucelee

oh right. I was under the impression that the gpu drivers for Vista weren't as good as the XP drivers.

15. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Vista has DX10, maybe a bit more processing required from the GPU. With the machine your building it can handle Vista easily. I don't think you will see any drop in performance.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  16. greenbrucelee

I think I have the balance of components and power right so I am hoping Vista will perform well with all features on :)

17. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Honestly, I'd be very suprised if your machine would be performing slow. I know that Vista requires more power but what you have is more then enough and once you get used to the new features and GUI I am sure you'll like it.

18. greenbrucelee

I'll let you know how I am ghetting on with it when I come back in 3 months, I'm sure it must be better than when it was first released 8)

19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

For sure, it's much better. There has been quite bit of fixes done.

20. greenbrucelee

Cool, I'll probably have a **** lload of downloads to do when I install it 8)