Finally Decided

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Aug 5, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Cheers for that, I'll see at the time how much my budgest will stretch to and if possible I'll for the extreme gamer version if not I'll get the OEM one you mentioned.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Top notch system that would be no doubt:), sure that it would play all games too regardless?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. greenbrucelee

thats the plan :) especially for the Far Cry and Crysis 2 :)

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If my two-year-old system will, his will certainly. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. greenbrucelee

I have reduced the hard drive down to 250GB version and use the 250GB Hard drive I have now, I will have Vista and XP on one drive and use the other for data.

I have added the XI-fi extreme OEM sound card and a pair of Zalman 7.1 headphones with my bonus increased pay rate and the over time I'm due I should have enough for a couple of games too :) I just need to find some cable braids for cable management.

6. BosonMichael

I have TWO pair of Zalman 7.1 headphones... I love them. However, if you get them, I'd highly recommend the amp as well. Model RM-6F, if I remember correctly.

Cable braids? Why not just buy rounded cables? They're relatively cheap, and you keep them from system to system.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. greenbrucelee

I suppose I just want the cables that I will be putting behind the motherboard not to rattle against the side of the case.

Edit these were the ones I found http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-000-ZA

8. greenbrucelee

Slight query.

When I put both XP then Vista onto the same hard drive do I just split the drive equally and format as NTFS? also do I put all apps on this drive and use the saves and everything else from the apps on the other drive?

I have never done this before as you might tell :oops:

9. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

Looks good GBL :D

I'm not sure about using 5.1 and 7.1 headphones though but it might be me and a bad experience with razor barracuda HP-1 crap things.

I bought a cheap pair of Sennheiser PC130's to replace them and try out the Sennheiser range(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-PC130-PC-Headset-Over/dp/B0000AZJVP).

They were very good quality and base range was instantly noticable compared to the rubbish razers. The only issue I had was the ear peice size not covering my ear enough, like my old Plantronics (which broke before I got the razers).

I then bought myself Sennheiser PC150's (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC150-Cancelling-PC-Headset/dp/B0000DCRHA) and haven't looked back. They're awesome. I play games rather competetively and audio is very important. These headphones are excellent.

Dave

PS I have a X-Fi eXtreme Music sound card

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  10. greenbrucelee

cool cheers I'll have look into that

11. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I would split one HDD up the middle into two partitions. Install XP first in the first partition. Then install Vista in the second partition. Use the second hard drive as a data drive. Use NTFS all round.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  12. greenbrucelee

what about stuff like my applications do they just go on the drive with Oses on but the documents videos, pictures and games go on the other drive?

13. rax

rax Megabyte Poster

You can install the applications on any of the drives

Certifications: ITIL v3 Foundation, CompTIA Network+
  14. NightWalker

When I run a duel boot I install software I want to run in XP in the XP partition and software I want to run in Vista in the Vista partition. I keep MP3s, Pictures, software setup files, ghost images of the OS partitions and game save folders/files on the data drive. Windows and installed software goes on the OS drive, everything else on the data drive.

15. greenbrucelee

ahh cheers for clearing that up, I have only ever done a dual boot system on one drive. Is there a way to have say the broadband software reconised by the two OSs so you don't have to install twice? or is it best just to have on the one OS?

16. NightWalker

I use a router, so each OS on my LAN is set to accept a DHCP address, they all go online easily then, no software required. In your case you would need to install the software twice unfortunately because entries must be written to the registry in each OS as well as the files and folders being written to the HDD. I would setup your internet connection in both OSes, nothing more annoying than having to reboot to get online and check CertForums for new posts!

17. greenbrucelee

That's what I thought, oh well can't have it every way :D

18. BosonMichael

Cable rattle... that's a new one to me. That said, I haven't put anything behind a motherboard - and wouldn't, though several people have done so. Too difficult to get to something, should something fail (and it invariably will if Murphy has anything to say about it).

19. greenbrucelee

The Antec 1200 has specially designed holes like in the P182 and P180 so the cables can go from the bottom of the case to the top without restricting air flow by going behind the mobo tray, I might use some gardening table to stick them down :D

I have been thinking about the OS thing too, I doubt I will use Vista that much as I still have a lot to learn about XP so I think I'll just stick with the hard drive I have and my copy of XP it'll save me £130 too :D

20. BosonMichael

The difference is that the Zalman headphones connect directly to three ports on a REAL soundcard. The Razor Barracuda HP-1 has an inline crappy little USB soundcard - which doesn't utilize the existing soundcard on your computer at all.

Very nice. Although the Sennheisers are probably superior headphones with regards to audio quality, the primary difference is that the Zalmans have multiple speakers in each earpiece to provide true surround sound. Does it work? Dunno, but I seem to be able to detect where things are in FPSs. :)