Finally bought a TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phoenix, Oct 23, 2007.

1. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

So are you refering to me as a Fanboy?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

mmm... considering your PS3-filled avatar and signature line... yes, I believe that's an accurate statement. :D

Sorry, mate... I call them as I see them. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Myself personally was considering a PS3 owing to recent price drops plus can use it as a Blu Ray player. Does anyone know if the Blu Ray player on the PS3 is off recommended standard and quality?

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Yes it is

@BM thats pritty harsh considering your the one bashing not me

5. BosonMichael

It should be THE recommended standard and quality... after all, PS3 is a Sony product, and Blu-ray was developed largely by Sony.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. BosonMichael

I'm "bashing", as you call it, because the information you provided is not accurate, and is being presented through the filtered lenses of an avid fan. It's the same as when Freddy mentions something that is pro-Linux or anti-Microsoft - one has to take it with a huge mountain of salt.

7. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

boson i think its a little un fair of you to say such things, you say you are not on the side of either format but its clear from your post that you have dug out some bad points of the PS3 and not mentioned anything about the xbox 360. if you were to check as hard for negatives for both consoles instead of 1 you would find them i am sure. My brother has a ps3 and i have a 360, they are diffrent systems and each has their own good points. The way the ps3 looks is amazing but the number of games out is limited, having never taken the time to study a blueray V a Hd DvD i couldnt say which is better but it goes without saying that higher capacity means more features can be added. for example if you get "the darkness" on 360 you dont get as much content as you would if you had a ps3.

anyway its up to whatever takes your fancy, but you seem to be dogging the ps3 and then claiming to be "neutral"....

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback, hope this is not turning out to be a PS3 vs X Box? because that's not my intention. Cheerio once again:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  9. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

when did i say anything bad about the 360 :rolleyes: its just not a media center, also which part wasn't accurate

10. BosonMichael

If I were to get a console, it'd likely be the XBox 360. That said, I don't have a desire to get ANY console... I have a PC for gaming excellence.

11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Fair point as am sure with time there would be the PC version of blu ray player just like we currently have dvd players and writers for the PC.

12. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

They already do and Michael's got his eye on one :p

or This

13. BosonMichael

I didn't get a DVD drive for my PC until there was a need for me to have one... until something I wanted for PC came out ONLY on DVD. Similarly, I won't get either a Blu-ray drive OR an HD DVD drive until there's something that I can't get for the PC in any other format.

14. BosonMichael

I may want one... but I'd never spend $3K on a laptop... even one that beautifully large. :wub

My most expensive laptop to date cost me $800... and the wife would have never let me do it if I didn't sell my old one for $500. My recent desktop box cost me only $1200.

15. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

i suppose thats one thing we do agree on that is one nice laptop

16. BosonMichael

Actually... the XBox 360 DOES have media center functionality: link1, link2, link3

17. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

and vista is the best operating system in the world right now, sorry that was childish of me. Have you tryed it Michael?

18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Blu-ray and HD-Dvd will take a while to take off for the normal consumer, as they are buying TV and DVd packages how many of them are gonna say oh we have just wasted 1000 quid on on TV and dvd now were gonna have to sell the dvd player to some pawn shop so we can get a blu-ray or HD one.

Not many I expect.

Also the Xbox360 has a few years on the PS3 and we all know (if you have had a console) that when a new one comes out its always 2 years before the game developers start using the full functionality of the machine.

I wouldn't buy as PS3 as all your really paying for is an overhyped processor and a blue diode wuptidoo.

There is only one game I see on the PS3 thats good and its called Resistance fall of man, the rest of the titles look poor imo.

Also the 360 has some good titles coming out soon which may make me buy one again especially for Ninja gaiden 2 (the first one was the hardest but most fun game I have ever played) and its looking good.

I think the way Microsoft have done extra harware for the xbox works well, like the HD DVD player for instance, it keeps the price down for the actual console and allows the user to decide if he/she wants Hi def movies or not.

Me personally would not watch a movie on a console anyhow as thats what dvd players are for.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. BosonMichael

Not sure that Vista's the best OS in the world... in fact, I'm still using XP, even though I've got a copy of Vista Ultimate I'll someday install.

Have I tried which? Vista or the XBox 360? Considering I wrote this, yes, I've tried Vista... and considering I don't own a console, no, I haven't tried the XBox 360. :)

20. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Phoenix, well done on getting a TV mate. As for me...I have to say I have never owned a TV since leaving my family home in London to live in Newcastle. I have either been given one and watched it thru my PC with a TV card. Up until Oct 2005, i have never watched TV. Now I dont see the point to be honest. If I wana watch something I like I download it. Yes people can go out and shell out hundreds to thousands for TVs these days but seriously how many of us watch TV cos of the quality it gives us? and I mean really!! the number of people I know have big TVs and yes the quality is superb, but whats the point in having something like that if all ur gonna do is watch crappy soaps or MTV Base!! Now when it comes to movies then ur on my level...couple this with a whopping 5.1 surround sound kit that will make all your neighbours bang on your door...then you are onto something...gaming and sports i can also understand too...but since I have two 19" LCD monitors and I am due to get a 22" for my new gaming machine I am building, there is no need for a TV for me...and like u BosonMichael I have no desire for a console but if I was to get one it would also be an xbox 360. as for HD DVD and blu-Ray, Im with Phoenix on this one...HD DVD all the way....but we all know that very soon the format war will stop and everyone will end up buying players and drives that do both!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life