Final month - exam prep

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by MadMat, Aug 12, 2010.

1. MadMat

MadMat Bit Poster

I'm almost at the end of my CCNA course with the open uni, and am starting to think about the certification exams (I'm going the two exam route)

What are the best resources out there for revision / final polish before attempting the certifications? should I go with the official Cisco press CCENT book or are there better resources out there?

Particularly interested in practice exams, especially getting used to the Simlet type questions, there seems little preparation for these in the Cisco Academy materials, the end of Semester exams are all multiple choice!

TIA

Mat

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA
  2. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hi MadMat,

If you are interested in practice exams than then Cisco Press Book comes with Boson's ICND1 exam included. Thus, killing two birds with one stone. If I remember rightly, the Boson test exam came with 6 sim type tests.

Other materials:

For lab practice: http://www.configureterminal.com - They also have good resources for ICND1/CCNA

Good luck
    Crazy Horse

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You are correct. And, as an added bonus, if you have trouble, you can have a direct audience with the guy who wrote most of the content - me! :biggrin

Thanks for the props, Crazy Horse! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. MadMat

MadMat Bit Poster

I guess it's the Cisco book then :)

Mat

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA
  5. BosonMichael

Oh wait - I didn't read Crazy Horse's post carefully enough. One MAJOR point of clarification...

...the Cisco Press book does NOT come with Boson's ICND1 exam. Although their exam uses Boson's exam engine, the content itself wasn't written by Boson - it was written by Cisco Press's authors. If you want Boson's CCNA product (which has 6 exams - the CCENT product has only 3 exams), you have to purchase it from Boson's website.

Bottom line is: "If you bought it in a book, it ain't Boson." :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Ah - I didn't realise it wasn't Boson's actual content included in the practice exam supplied in the press book. Thanks for clarifying that!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  7. BosonMichael

Yeah, most people don't know... we're aiming to fix that. ;)

8. TechySuperOZ

TechySuperOZ Bit Poster

Good Luck in advance. I've obtained my CCNA just before christmas, part-time evening course. I've used Cisco official books, CBT nuggets, and Packet Tracer. I've also taken the two exams route, but found CCENT difficult than CCNA. Did pass both exam first attempt, some of my class member had to retake CCENT. All I can advise for the exam is be quick! The clock will tick fast. First exam I had 3 minutes to spare, and the second exam I had 8 minutes to spare. Unfortunately you cannot go back to review your questions. And I've missed a few questions.

Certifications: CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: MCTS
  9. jonny7_2002

jonny7_2002 Byte Poster

DONT BE TOO QUICK THOUGH!!!! :eek:

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNP R&S, CCDA, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless & CCNA Security
    WIP: CCIE V5 (when its out)