Films

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Mr.Cheeks, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

ok, i added this into the security forum because the question i am going to ask is in breach of my company t&c for laptop use so;

if i watch my dodgy films on my computer could they find out if they do an audit on my pc?

the films are in my network share (at home workgroup)
    and the player
    is VLC Portable player thats being run of my mem pen?

Also how about software? i know when you install software it shoves reg keys in the reg? how can this be avoided?

or should i create a local admin account? and use that for home use?

btw: my laptop if you dont know already is XP SP2

:oops: :ohmy :twisted:

2. Mr.Cheeks

Anyone?

3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Does the PC already have a Media Player application on it that will play the films? If so, use it.

An Audit may reveal that you have installed programs, but not what you have been using them for, so it is unlikely that they will be able to tell you have been watching films.

4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Really?
    How dodgy?

Can I have a copy?

:eek:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. Mr.Cheeks

ofcourse you can.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Unfortunately Windows has always stored information in numerous places which enable a canny admin to be able to see what you have been up to on the computer. Things like cookies, temp internet files and MRU lists. The latter is the one that might get you caught!

MRU (most recently used) lists is the feature that allows users to find a file or a document that was recently opened/viewed. A good example is the My Recent Documents folder in the Start Menu screen. You might even find an entry for your naughty vids in there :eek:

It's impossible to clear all the data that is stored in MRU lists by hand, as they are numerous and stored in the registry.

There is a free utility that boasts that it clears them though. MRU-Blaster from the excellent Javacool people.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Mr.Cheeks

thing is, im using vlc portable player (run off my pen) and not media player... is that a stealthy way or not?