Files to boot NT

Discussion in 'Software' started by brent, Jul 28, 2003.

1. brent

brent Nibble Poster

Can sombody tell me which files are required to boot to MS Windows NT 4.0. I had this question come up in a practice test but got it wrong and i'm sure my answer was correct so looked into it and it was. Now have i looked it up wrong or is it the software. I'll post my answer later when you've give yours. :D

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

NTLDR, BOOT.INI, NTDETECT.COM and NTBOOTDD.SYS (for non-BIOS SCSI)

Do I get the prize ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Give that man some points

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Not so fast - I read the question AFTER I answered - those are the Windows 2000 boot files !!!

So if its the same for NT, then I'll gladly accept accolades, garlands, beer, points - you get the message ? :P

If not, then thats me an *rse again, then ... :oops:

5. brent

brent Nibble Poster

Cheers Jakamoko, i got the same. I also found this site to back up my answer http://www.thestaffguide.com/tests/nt_boot.htm.

So the test has the wrong answer...hhhmmmm (cause for concern). It was an online test from NITLC and i got marked down for it. Here the test i got in my results:

No mention of BOOT.INI and I got this incorrect. Whats your shout on this? :evil

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm gona take that online test tonight i'll keep an eye out for this one and let you know. :D Dont know if you get the same questions or if they use a bank of different questions so I might not get the same onres as you.

I checked the link and did a bit of a search myself and you seem to be correct in your answer. Post later :P

Si

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. SimonV
    Honorary Member

OK, did the online A+ test and the question came up so answered it exactly the same as you and in my results it shows as a failed answer. I passed the test though and i'm gussing now i get a letter with the dates of the workshops.

I'll drop an email to NITLC and raise a query on this one see what they say.

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hi Guys,

A system CAN boot without boot.ini, as long as there is only one OS on the machine - boot.ini only becomes critical when you want to dual-(or more) boot a system.

Thats a classic one of those questions, in that it is accepted that boot.ini is indeed a boot file, but if you re-word the question to read

"Which boot file can you do without, given default conitions ...?!

you get your answer. And all that form memory, as well - see it does stick eventually (only after I broke boot.ini a million times in the past !) :P

10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

So do you think this questions answer is correct given that NT would boot without it? Should it be contested. Have you got a link or anything to back this up. I dont for one minute think you lying Jak but kinda want to clear the facts in my head here. :D

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I don't think it's an issue to be contested - more an example of where you get a "dodgy question", and I've had a few in the real exams, where you feel it's wrong, but you've still got to pull a best answer from whats on the screen !

I've had questions on the w2k MCPs, referring to NT4 that I know were wrong (according to the books I'd read), but if your in front of the exam computer, are you gonna start phoning the nearest lawyer ? Nope you're going to have to work out what your being asked, and will get you the points !

But thats just my take on it ...

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

MS cert exams are infamous for this sort of question. Even when it contradicts the information in Microsoft Press texts. Go figure. It's as if MS is doing it's best to test how well you deal with confusion and frustration rather than how well you actually know the material. Cisco cert exams are quite a bit more straight forward.

13. brent

brent Nibble Poster

Now i'm confused. :silly Whats the correct answer on this one?

14. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

The way i see it is that they are both correct depending on how you system is set up, if it is a dual boot system you will need Boot.ini, if it's not dual boot then you dont need it.

If i am wrong i am sure someone will put me right

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I was going to suggest just wiping out boot.ini on your NT system, reboot, and see what happens, but it might be easier to just read the article at the link below instead:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=99743