Files and settings transfer question

Discussion in 'Software' started by thintin, Apr 20, 2006.

1. thintin

thintin Bit Poster

I think it's time to format my hard drive and make a clean install of win xp.

In the past I've tried to manually back up files and settings but I inevitably miss something important.

I tried a test with windows 'file and setting transfer wizard' and created a backup file but when I tried to use it to restore my PC I was told the file was unusable (I hadn't actually removed any settings, I just wanted to find out what it would do).

What are my options? Do I back up everything manually and hope I dont miss anything

or...

is there a trustworthy third party app to do the job for me?

or...?

any help appreciated, thanks.

Certifications: bronze swimming award?
    WIP: silver.
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i have tried loads of apps, the the one i know that works is copying all of the data on a secondary drive (if you have one, and the space) then checking the file size - always worked for me - if no secondary harddrive then burn to cd/dvd - they are cheap and you will always have a copy of your data.

3. thintin

thintin Bit Poster

I'm sorry, are you talking about the win app or another, or just manually backing up the data?

4. Mr.Cheeks

manually backing up my data...

what do you want normally try and backup?

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

cheek,

I don't know how you are checking if your transfers have worked- if you have a spare machine (running XP) then you could try and import them before wiping the machine.

As for backing up data, nero, ghost, image quest and don't forget MS back-up....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Mr.Cheeks

This is what my mate uses at the moment, called SyncBack v3.2.4, never used it before but he said its free and it does seem quite good...

7. thintin

thintin Bit Poster

Cheers Cheekmaster. I'll give it a try.

Boyce. I made the settings restore file using 'files..blah blah blah..wizard' and then ran the wizard again and selected the file I'd made to import the settings and immediately it said "file unusable". Like I said it wasn't a real test as the machine had all of it's settings still, but I'd have expected the app to do more before giving up.