File transfer over wireless - nada !

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Jakamoko, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hey Guys,

This has been busting my proverbials for over 24 hours now !. Yesterday I got a Netgear DG834G do-it-all wireless router. Bloody magic it is too, all secured, and a fine replacement for me poor old 10Mbps hub. However, one of the jobs I had to do this weekend was to finish off the recovery of some data that I had pulled to another PC from a busted hard drive.

No matter what I tried, I could not transfer the resultant ~145 Mb zip file across my network to my PC in order to burn it to disk. Connections just kept hanging, or "access denied" messages would randomly appear, desipte full permissions being in place on all machines involved. I could transfer smaller files (about 30Mb in one case) without any probs. In a fit of desparation, I decided to bring the old hub back in in place of the wireless router - well, whadda ya know ? 15 min later and the .zip file is transferred to my PC, no questions asked !!!

So - what part of what the router does in all this was causing the problem here, Guys ? Hope someone can tell me, and there is a prize as always for the winner :wink:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

were you pulling it wirelessly or via a cable?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sorry - a good question that I should have been more clear on, Boyce. The two PCs involved were wired into the router, so wireless wasn't an issue at this stage (although it's working a treat as I have me laptop running off it sweetly downstairs). Sorry for not making that clear at first :)

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm hardly and expert (ffreeloader and Phoenix...where are you?) but it sounds like some sort of file size limit is set in the router.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Gav, assuming you have connectivity and good signal strength the router shouldn't have any part in preventing local file transfers. If the signal is weak or dropping out then that could cause failures.

Have you tried disabling the firewall (XP?) on the wireless connection?

Have you tried doing the same without using encryption?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

sounds as if the router is causing some kind of bottleneck or security issue. I take it you have run the XP network set-up wizard?
    Reading through "Windows XP inside out" (like a yellow pages in size !)i came across this a few weeks ago. It basically said if you speak TCP/IP in your sleep still use the network set-up wizard!
    What i do gav is run it on the pc connected to the gateway and then at the end it asks if you want to make a copy of the set-up file. Store it to a path on the PC (it offers a floppy, but some desk/laptops don't have them any more) and then run it on all your machines.
    Have you tried using a cross over cable between PC's if the network set-up wizard was run?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

hmm, windows setup wizard? i dont use windows wizards unless i absolutely have to, they have a habbit of not telling what it is they are doing
    cant say i had any issues copying 3gb over the wireless link here

btw guys, gav says he was using the wired part of his router, the wireless bit is a red herring

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Sorry Boyce, but informative as your suggestion is, I go with Ryan on the network wizard. I prefer to manually set it up as long as I understand what I'm doing.

I also tested with the firewall (Sygate Pro) off, and still no joy - no network traffic happening at all.

As Ryan says, filesize shouldn't be an issue, but TBH, I haven't had a chance to delve deep into the innards of the router's config yet - will do and let you all know.

Thanks for the replies - bottom line is the job is done :)