File Systems and Share Access

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Cartman, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Hi, a quicky for someone out there.

Going over access and file systems in my revision - it IS true that a WIN98 computer can access a remote NTFS share isn't it?
    I know it can't see anything on an NTFS drive or partition locally, but it can if it's on another computer over a share?

Grateful for anyone who can clarify this. :dunce

2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Yes indeedy you are correct :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Thanks Phil,

Truly thou art the most benevolent of oracles!

:cheers2

4. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I think FAT file system is a major standard across the board.

Therefore, not only Win98 machines, but also any OS that uses FAT, can access a NTFS share.

Also though, the OS would have to have client for microsoft networks installed.

Think I'm right, may be wrong though.

Anyway, might carry into a wider discussion.

5. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Nothing wrong with that, m8. I DO know that what you're saying is right, I have tried access to my computer before from a WIN98 machine (mine is W2K as you know) and you need 3 things to make sure it does,
    1) Client for Microsoft Networks, and
    2) Set up WIN98 so that it logs on with an account that is allowed in W2K. In this case using the guest account and making sure it is activated on the W2K machine.
    3) I used NetBeui protocol to access it. Not sure how TCP/IP would fly - sure it would probably work, but NetBeui is easier, ;-)

In homage to the 1st post though, when I tried it, I had a FAT32 partition on the W2K machine - didn't know at the time the WIN98 machine could talk to NTFS over a share!!!

6. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Why do people still use Win98???????????????????????????

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  7. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Probably the same reason some people still have vinyl records! (I don't BTW!)

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I use it for a client OS, as it's all my wee ancient laptop can hold. still does the job - just that we're spoiled by the power that is w2k 8)

@Cartman - no issues with TCP/IP on w98 to access w2k/NTFS - it works same as it works in any scenario.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

:what? We've still got machines running Win 95.

It does save on patching W2K and XP machines with the advent of W32 worms. Still it's stable so why change if it suits the requirements?

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong