File server generating excessive ARP's

Discussion in 'Networks' started by simongrahamuk, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

heh heh.. a man could take that as sarcasm :D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

All of our hosts reside on the same subnet. As there's only about 300 of them and they all do the same things I didn't really have any need to do otherwise with them. It was *this* way when I started, so I left alone.
    Yeah, you're right I'm not noticing any performance issues, it was just whe I ran etherreal it seemed to be trying to resolve addresses it had just resolved moments earlier. (By moments I actually mean seconds).

The addresses are all internal addresses it is trying to resolve, nothing outside. System is clean from Virus'es and Spyware.

TBH, this is something that I'm just used to now, as it really hasn't bothered me. Perhaps it was just me looking for problems when it was quiet at work.

8)

3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I wasn't being sarcastic Clyde, I meant it :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

cool....I was only joking witcha!

BTW in the context of a link for a link.. (very biblical *G*) this here is one of the best I've seen for OSI model info ... and the remainder of the site ain't shabby either...

http://home.att.net/~s.k.vincent/250index.html

enjoy!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP