Fewer jobs for IT graduates

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Fewer jobs for IT graduates

IT graduate vacancies are expected to fall 7.1% between 2008 and 2009, according to a report by the Association of Graduate Recruiters (AGR).

The drop is higher than the expected average drop in the recruitment market, which is 5.4%.

The association interviewed several hundred employers in the UK including Siemens, Deloitte and Cisco, and found starting salaries had fallen by 3.7%.

IT starting salaries range between £25,000 and £35,000, with the average at £27,000. There is no average increase in graduate starting salaries for the first time in the history of the report. < :blink>

Read the rest of the article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Qs
      Qs
      ...pfft.

Qs
    2. Pheonicks56
      Pheonicks56
      Well I graduate soon and will be moving back to the states soon so I hope to heck this isn't the case back in the ol' US.
    3. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      I don't know much about the way that report was written, but I can tell you one thing for certain - that figure is absolute bollocks.
    4. Qs
      Qs
      Agreed, sir!
    5. Arroryn
      Arroryn
      It may be because that little table off Ken's linky doesn't have the massive drag factor of helpdesk support on its averages.

The lowest wage is 'hardware engineer' which we would class as second line at the lowest - and that's over £22K. :tune
    6. Qs
      Qs
      Time to become a hardware engineer! :p
    7. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      I'm sure you're right Arro, but the stupid thing about that is that almost all new graduates start out in helpdesk/first line support now - its not like it used to be back at the end of the 90s where knowing how to create a new worksheet in Excel could get you a 30k a year job straight out of college.
    8. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      However depending on the company and what scheme they get on, some get on a fast track scheme which can incorporate a higher salary level to begin with...

Annoyed, I graduated with my BSc, I didn't get onto a grad scheme and according to the salary chart a web editor on average earns more than me - and I'm an IT Manager :(

-Ken
    9. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      No, it's not the case... the starting salaries are much, much lower here. :twisted:
    10. Sparky
      Sparky
      Absolute ****!!! :twisted:
    11. greenbrucelee
      greenbrucelee
      I was told that when I finished my HND in 99 that I could probably expect about 25k.... yeah right