Feel a bit out on a limb..

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Angry Dog, Oct 1, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sure, if someone has MORE experience than you do with those technologies, of course they'll get the job. That's why I recommended that you start at (or near) the bottom and work your way up. Many of those people who are just now getting into IT don't have even CLOSE to the experience you have!! Think of that as an advantage, bro!

I can understand that. But not all "support" is the same. I started out as a field service tech, providing support to companies that needed an on-site tech to look at their PCs and printers. I started getting a little server administration experience, and things progressed from there. You can do the same.

So if you don't like the job you do, choose to change it! Only you can fix the problem.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

True, I guess I've never looked at it like that. I'm very blinkered I guess!

Certifications: IT NVQ level 2/3
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+
  3. Angry Dog

Angry Dog Nibble Poster

I know its like banging your heard against a brick wall, but starting at the bottom, unless it pays me what I earn now, then I cant do as it will put me out on the streets :(.

I have 12 years experience, with 11 of those in Desktop Support, so yes, I have alot of experience in a support role. I guess I will be more employable with the qualifications to back my experience.

I want to change my job, but its difficult, geographically and with the lack of MS experience I have. I pretty much accept that its very unlikely that I'll do anything S/A wise, and it would suggest I am best sticking with Support, but theres only so far I can go with that.. ?

Certifications: IT NVQ level 2/3
    WIP: MCDST, A+, N+