Fedora Live Question.

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by mjtibbs, Oct 11, 2007.

1. mjtibbs

mjtibbs Bit Poster

hey doods,

I am planning on d/ling the Live version of Fedora 7 when I get some time.

I beleive the Live install will run directly from the CD.

Does it still create a mini file system on the HD?

I just thought for things like creating other user accounts/home directories just to experiment with etc, surely this will need to be written to disk?

also if I had some c programs, I take it even though its live, I can still fully acess my harddisks and compile code etc?

Finally, does anyone know when Fedora 8 will be released?

Thanks

Certifications: MCSA, OSCP, MCTS Config SharePoint 2007
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't know when Fedora 8 will be coming out but I'm sure you can find out on their site: http://fedoraproject.org/

As I recall, live CDs run entirely from the CD. The idea is that nothing touches your HDD. Everything you interact with is loaded in RAM.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

It's possible to access the hard drive from a live cd, but any hard drives are mounted read only by default in live cd's such as Knoppix, and I can't imagine that Fedora would do things much differently. That said, I've never used Fedora in any form so take that for what it's worth. Unless you explicitly remount the drives as rw you will have a hard time writing to disk. Also, make sure if you do mount a partition that it is a free partition which will not matter if it is corrupted. NTFS support is pretty good now with ntfs-3g, but I would still be very careful about writing to a partition on which you have data you value, especially if you're running Vista. It's even more possessive about things than XP, and MS made some changes to NTFS in Vista, IIRC.

As to a compiler, well, for one thing you better have a ton of ram or it's going to be extremely slow as the entire OS is run from ram with a live cd. I can't say for sure if any live cds include a compiler or not either. I've never looked for one, or needed one on a live cd. Most people wouldn't use a live cd for that type of purpose. They are pretty much designed for two purposes: checking out Linux without installing it, and repairing broken/compromised systems. A compiler wouldn't be needed for either of those two most common uses.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. mjtibbs

mjtibbs Bit Poster

thanks for the response guys.. you've pretty much answered my questions.

I think i'll just use Live to get back into the feel of Linux (its been 7 years since I had an install) and will soon go on to installing fully.

I wasn't really thinking about my resources but I only have 256mb ram on this lappy so I think i'll just go easy with the Live version lol.

Thanks again

Certifications: MCSA, OSCP, MCTS Config SharePoint 2007
  5. ffreeloader

Be prepared for your laptop to be pretty slow with only 256 megs of ram. It's going to be doing a lot of swapping in and out of CD as there isn't enough ram to hold everything.

6. no1youknowz

no1youknowz Bit Poster

256MB of ram should be actually ok for Fedora. Just keep in mind a few things ;)

Once you get to know linux, stop alot of the services that you dont need. Fedora has a nasty habit of installing alot of crap! I always do a customised install and then install the things I only need!

Run with XFCE Windows Manager. You'll be suprised how great it is, its very lightweight!

WIP: Too many to mention
  7. ffreeloader

Maybe for a Fedora hard drive installation, but I've never had a live cd that wasn't slow with only 256 megs of ram other than distros such as Damn Small Linux and Puppy Linux. They are specifically designed to take up very few resources, and I've never had that experience with any of the more modern RedHat implementations. I'm not saying that this can't be true, just that my experience with RedHat products hasn't been that way.

I do agree with you about XFCE. It is a lot more snappy than Gnome and KDE, and it does use fewer resources.