FDDI

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Boycie, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I know that FDDI is a sort of enhanced token ring set-up.
    It is a dual ring, 100Mbps technology that uses fibre optic cable :D

What I am not sure about is if (this is going to sound daft tommorow) each ring has a token.
    Or is it that the second ring is purely for fault tolerance so if the first ring devolps a fault the second ring can merge to it :blink
    The seed of doubt in my mind contradicts the whole token ring technology as the sending computers have to wait for possesion. Unless of course the two rings are operating seperately :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Looks like the second ring is for fault tolerance and is not used unless there is a failure of the primary ring.

http://www.iol.unh.edu/training/fddi/htmls/index.html

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cracking link there Trip- thanks! :D

I thought that was what I was reading but you know what it is like when you have something in the back of your mind you want cleared up! :blink

4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I don't think you will really need that detailing an understanding of FIDDI for the N+ Boyce. Just the cable it uses, it's speed and possibly what the initials stand for would probably be enough. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cheers Modey. That's what I like about David Groth's book. It covers the course in plenty of detail. :D