Faulty GPU-Dell XPS M1710

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HTF, Jul 2, 2010.

1. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hi,

Dell XPS M1710

It looks like my Nvidia 7950 GTX graphic card didn't cope with the heat. I have exactly the same issue like below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wINkdSpU2o

This is a common issue with this GPU.
    Please help me to find some solution as my laptop is no longer under warranty. Is there any way to fix this myself?

I changed the video to the one on mobo but still the same issue. Is it because display is connected through the dedicated GPU anyway or maybe something else is faulty?! :rolleyes:

I saw on youtube some people heat the card in the cooker :eek:

Do you now where I can buy this card as Dell sell for almost £400 (I can buy new laptop for this price).
    I've also seen some people offer repair service on ebay but how they will fix it, is it worth/trust to them?
    Can I use any other GPU model, like 8 series...

BTW: Can you explain me wich one is the chipset (img below) and what is the second thing?
    http://imgs.dark-space.net/mobo.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
    Certifications: A+
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If I were you I would replace the Thermal Paste on it as a first priority, generally speaking they don't put the best quality or correct amount on to the GPU. Have a look with something like MX3 TIM.

If after that you still have an issue then you should perhaps look at using a laptop cooler as well.

I would say that the chip on the right is the GPU and the chip on the left is actually the chipset (Intel 945PM).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Hello,

Thank you for reply.
    Do you think it's possible that these artefacts will disappear after I will use new thermal paste or it's a permanent defect?

I think you're right, the right one is a GPU on board but why it's still the same effect even if I switched to the on board video. Is it beacuse display is connected through dedicated GPU anyway? :rolleyes:

4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Artifacts generally appear either due to over heating or because of faulty ram, by changing the TIM you should be able to rule out the over heating, of course you may also need to use the laptop cooler in weather like this (I am currently sat in an office that's over 27c because there isn't any AC and the laptops are running at full tilt).

I would always look at reapplying the TIM if the laptop was having graphical issues.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

I ordered thermal paste and I'm waiting for delivery. If this won't help I will try to bake it :D:

- same notebook, same issue

However I also contacted Dell and I can extend my warranty for all hardware parts. Is it mean that I can buy it and then call them back after few days with my issue and they still will accept it? I obviously unscrewed it like also done some hardware upgrades (RAM, HDD), is this affect the warranty?

6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Look at my recent posts on the Netbook thread.

There was a general fault with NVidia GPU's, especially mobile chips, they suffer from a manufacturing fault which means they start to die after a few heat cycles, meaning that normal use of the laptop which will cause heating then cooling then heating etc will kill the chip in short order.

Thermal paste or heatsinks will not cure the issue, only a new GPU chip will, Dell agreed to extend some peoples warranty's. This is your best bet, extend your warranty and get it fixed or just bin it.

Not sure what exact conditions are but this sounds like your best bet if you can get the extension for free or less than a new laptop or repair.

I have the exact same issue but have now bought a new laptop and my old M1710 is in an actic half a world away.

Baking sounds like a possible workaround but could invalidate the warranty offer and I have no idea how effective it is at fixing the manufacturing fault long term. The compounds in the chip are supposed to be off spec, I doubt heating will cure this long term.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  7. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

Ok, thanks for reply.

Basically it costs £120 for one year. I asked them to call me back tomorrow so I will get all the details and probably I will go for it.

BTW: It looks like I was lucky anyway as mine was running OK for 4 years

8. HTF

HTF Byte Poster

I didn't have other options so I had to bake my GPU and it's working fine so far. I'm a bit concern about notebook cooler. I bought Zalman ZM NC 2000 and it seems to be a good product however the temperatures are higher now :rolleyes:. It looks like the system fans not running so often now with this cooler. Any explanation for this? Where are the temp sensors located.
    The notebook has been totally cleaned inside I also applied Arctic Cooling MX-3.