Farewell, Hotmail: Microsoft previews Outlook.com, ending longtime webmail brand

Discussion in 'News' started by dales, Aug 3, 2012.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hotmail to be replaced by Outlook.com in Microsoft switch

Microsoft is overhauling its free webmail service, dropping the Hotmail brand it has used since acquiring the product in 1998, and adopting the name Outlook.com.

Full Story here

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
    Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Gav
      Gav
      The login page on 'outlook.com' is incredibly annoying. When I did an Office 365 deployment recently, I told the customer that the login for OWA was 'Outlook.com'. They went and checked that on their own machine, could login to OWA, and took that to be correct.

However, it turns out, you can *only* login to Office 365 / Exchange Online via. Outlook.com if your computer has previously logged in to Office 365 (I assume it saves a cookie). If you haven't, it won't let you login, and you have to go to portal.microsoftonline.com! As you can imagine, for a migration project, this was a bit of a nightmare...

It'd be great if Microsoft get a real 'single sign on' experience, where the login prompt detects what service is associated with the account you're logging in with.

EDIT: It turns out, you can't log into Office 365 at all with Outlook.com now, which is probably for the best.
      Last edited: Aug 6, 2012