Failing exam question

Discussion in 'A+' started by michael78, Sep 20, 2004.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Just out of interest if you retake a comptia exam after failing is it the exact same exam that you resit or a different one?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Um, I believe it will be different. The question's on each exam are randomly selected each time, so it will be 60 random questions taken from a pool of 400. (not exactly sure on numbers, just an example).

I can't be sure, as i haven't taken a Comptia exam, but this was the case with Cisco, and I believe it's pretty standard.

HTH :D
    Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. michael78

I heard somewhere on the net that the retake exam was the same and that there isn't a pool of exam questions that are choosen at random. Can someone clear this up for me. Cheers....:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Have you checked the Comptia site??? Goin to the source is the best policy for info when it come's to Exams :D

www.comptia.com

I would bet alot that the question's on a Comptia exam come out of a pool! Otherwise, why would there be so many possible thing's to study for if you know the 80 questions that you are gonna get? Maybe I missunderstood, :oops: but l see that you have two Comptia cert's. I take it you passed both first time as your asking about re-takes, but was the exam re-take policy not explained to you before/when you took those exams?

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. michael78

I failed the Server+ exam. The reason I'm asking it here is simply more people have taken the A+ exams so I'll have a better chance of someone answering my question.

When I took the Server+ exam it was to say the least one of the most obscure and poorly written exam I have taken in my life. I was cheesed off that I couldn't understand the questions let alone answer them because of the wording. In all I failed by 4% so maybe these obscure questions were the difference between me passing and failing. So I wanted to know if the retake exam is the same as when you take it for the first time.

6. michael78

Come on guys help me out here not everyone has passed every comptia exams first time...:blink

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sorry Slypie, I haven't taken a Comptia exam yet but I would imagine they are taken from a pool of questions like Punkboy said. What I can't imagine is that they only have 60 or so set questions per exam and everyone gets the same exam, even on retakes. There would be nothing to study for as there would also be so many braindumps and cheatsheets on the net and then everyone would get >95% on each exam.

I think that when you sit it again the questions will be different.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. michael78

I suppose your both right. That means I have to run the risk of taking the exam again with obscure questions. You need a degree just to figure out what they are asking...:( ooh well hope it aint another £171 down the drain...:rolleyes:

9. Reders

Reders Bit Poster

Slypie,

The guys are correct. The exam questions are taken from a pool of questions.

I have never had any questions repeated on my retake exams. (Over five.)

And i must agree that i have always found the wording demanding. (That's professional exams for you!!)

Best of luck.