"failed to Load Operating system"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keithmoon, May 6, 2010.

1. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

Hi All,

A mate has kindly given me his computer to fix after hes broke it. Its as old as the hills (tiny) he was having problems with xp home that was installed on it and as he didnt have the xp install cd to do a fresh install another mate gave him some flavour of linux to install :rolleyes: im no sure what he has done with linux but hes managed to make it unbootable anyways. So Im going to reinstall xp home using using my cd. I select the cd-rom as first boot devie and I am prompted to boot from cd during post which I do, after a few mins of the cd spinning away I get the error message "Failed to load operating system". I have done a bit of googleing and it seems it may be a problem with BIOS. Is this correct? has anyone came accross this problem before?

Cheers all Leo
    /

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

did you get the blue screen that you get when installing xp asking you to agree or disagree? did you delete the old partition before trying to install xp?

what is the make and model of the Tiny?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

hi greenbrucelee

thanks for getting back

I dont even get as far as that mate, the computer doesnt even load the install files off the cd or anything. I simply get the "boot from cd ......." prompt after the "press any button to boot from cd..."
    prompt, which is the followed by "failed to load operating system"

I dont know the model but have taken a note of this from a label on the rear of the machine

tiny
    0001-500-70332

70332TJM01T8

Tiny s35

939 serial NO 000211080/01

cheers

4. greenbrucelee

Having a scout around the net, it appears this can happen when the system becomes unstable. A bios update may help but I have found this which may also help. It is a recovery CD for Tiny PCs with xp http://www.user-guides.co.uk/download/tiny/tinys35/tiny-s35.html

Have you checked that the CD you tried actually works on another computer before doing the above?

5. greenbrucelee

I also think it may be hard to get hold of a BIOS update for Tiny who went bust years a go, unless you can find a third party who has them.

6. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

many thanks brucelee, is it the first link on that page im looking at downlaoding?
    yeah i tried two xp cds and they are both playing up :(

7. greenbrucelee

yep number 1.

Although I am not confident it will help, are you sure the cd drive is functional? does the BIOS see it?

8. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

yeah but looking at it a bit closer its strange, in the listed devices in basic bios settings it lists it as a Sony DVD but in boot device settings it lists it as a cd-rom drive?

9. greenbrucelee

yeah that doesn't matter as long as the basic settings see it and it actually works.

try that restore disk and see if it helps.