Failed, Retaking 70-680 on Monday

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by ChuckL, Dec 27, 2012.

1. ChuckL

ChuckL New Member

I was a bit naive going in to the 680 exam. I've studying for hours everyday and signed up for my free Second Shot on Monday. Are there any good free practice tests online? I have one tht came with my book but from my experience on the exam it doesn't spend nearly enough time on Branchcache and the imaging exes (DISM, UMT, ImageX).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

I don't know of any free practice tests. I used transender for mine. I would study up on the areas you did poorly on. Good luck for Monday.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
    WIP: 70-640, 70-642, security +, CCNA
  3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Which book did you study with?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I always find you get what you pay for.

I always purchase Transcender for my exams and so far no complaints!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. barrixrock

barrixrock Bit Poster

Measureup?
    Don't go to exam if your not confident.

You losing £100 :( Plus there is booking fees if you move it..

Certifications: A+, MS 70-680
    WIP: MS 70-640
  6. ChuckL

ChuckL New Member

Poulton but I didn't spend enough time with it. I didn't really expect it to be as difficult as it is : p. I was just coming off my A+ exam.

7. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

There is a big difference between the CompTIA exams and the MS exams in terms of difficulty, I guess one positive coming from this is you now understand the higher level of the exam and can now prepare for it better knowing that.

Best of luck when you go for it again! 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. shadowwebs

I am expecting to find it hard myself also for the 70-680 coming away from the A+ earlier this year for myself... let us know how you get on with the re-take in the future.

I have chosen the Poulton book myself and on reading your post, I will try to spend more time with it.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  9. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

They're tough exams. I would make sure you're confident in all areas tested before retaking. Evaluate it today and push it back if you need to.

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCTS WIN7 (70-680), MCITP WIN7 (70-685), MCSA WIN7, Linux +,LPIC-1, Novell CLA 11, SUSE 11 Tech Spec, DC Tech Spec
  10. bogus1195

bogus1195 Bit Poster

The 680 is indeed a tough exam and make sure you lab the topics that your study -

I would recommend everybody who is going to take the test to lab , lab and lab

My Primary Study Resources for this exam were
    Don Poulton's Windows 7 Book
    Microsoft Win 7 ( MS Press ) & Sybex Win 7 & Book
    CBT Nuggets
    Train Signal
    Professor Messers
    & Google

good luck

Certifications: CCNA ,MCP
    WIP: Windows 7 -- 70 - 680
  11. ChuckL

ChuckL New Member

Ya I just installed Server 2012 on a VHD from command prompt and I'm next going to take an image of 2008 using ImageX and deploy it on a VM to make sure I am very familiar. I also need to make sure I got Mobile options down and Bitlocker and, of course, branchcache.

12. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Good plan. Use VMs too to test stuff out. Also use DISM and get at least basic familiarity with PowerShell. Microsoft seem to have PowerShell pegged as "The Future", and push it hard nowadays...

Personally, I think the EDST (the 680/685) is tough. A big jump from the A+ and a way from what I'd call 'entry level'. It's also a lot tougher that the old XP/2003 MCDST it supposedly replaced. The MTAs are about the last thing MS do that is entry level.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  13. ChuckL

ChuckL New Member

I passed! Yay, Prof. Messers videos are amazing, but it was definitely the stuff that I actually did myself that stuck with me the most.

Score: 700 O.O (And I changed some answers upon review) Next time I'll give myself more prep time.

14. parman05

parman05 Byte Poster

Congratulations on the pass. what's next?

15. shadowwebs

Congrats, what is the pass rate on this exam?

16. ChuckL

ChuckL New Member

I don't think Microsoft releases pass rates, I'll probably go for MCITP: EDST next. But I'll give myself some time. Also signed up for a free networking course on Coursera.org.

The min score is 700 tho. Crazy....

If you're thinking about taking it, I suggest practicing the things that are covered. It was difficult for me because I do not have access to Windows 7 Enterprise or Ultimate, so I recommend investing in those or taking a class.

17. shadowwebs

I have got access to all of the Windows 7 versions, so I am quite fortunate in regards to those, along with Server 2008 r2 so that should be enough for me to get through it.

Many congrats again to you though.

18. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Before moving onto the server exams, I suggest you might want to check out Microsoft's demo downloads. You should be able to find a 90 day demo of Win7 Ultimate there too.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  19. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the pass, go get drunk now :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  20. mackie

mackie Nibble Poster

Good news. Well done!

Certifications: IAB, Sage 50, MOUS and MCP
    WIP: A+