Failed N+ Should I retake?

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by cosway, Dec 24, 2010.

1. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

Ok so its been a bad week for me, I failed the 70-291 on Monday by 23 points and yesterday failed the N+ (I had 710 and needed 720) I've been trying to re-book all morning, but...

A - Can't find a telephone number to speek with prometric, website just keeps takin gback to online booking.

B - All test centers in Cardiff are not showing any available dates or answering phones (its like some sort of public holiday or something).

C - The only place I can find is in Easton Learning Centre in Bristol, but when I called their number listed on prometric, they said that they don't do CompTIA and they only do the "Life in the UK" exams and that if I wanted one of those then I needed to call another number (shot the number at me like it was about to explode and put the phone down)...

Now I know I didn't go to an exclusive private school where you learn to speak with a plumb in your mouth and a sliver spoon up your jacksey, and up here in the South Wales Valleys we don't speek like 1940's BBC radio presenters, but I think telling me to sit a Citezenship test is a bit much..

I know I made a mistake booking them both in the same week, and didn't really prepare myself for the "Quick Fire Acronym round" that was the N+ - seriously if you've ever seen the Michel and Web sketch "Number Wang" you'll have a pretty good idea of what my experance of the N+ was.

But I'm pretty sure that if I pick up a book and try review these Acronyms I can get the N+ before the idiots at Comptia introduce their Continuing Development Plan - seriously have you read the PDF on renewing exams...

You can pay to resit the exam every 3 years, pay to attend a course every 3 years or (this is the best bit) teach a course - apprantly if teach the subject then there is no need for comptia to re-assess you (scarey?).

Anyway I'm off topic a bit, back to the plot..

Has anyone sat a CompTIA test at Easton Learning Centre in Bristol or have the batphone number for prometric please, thanks

Also if this is the only place I can sit the test before end of year then should I bother after the new year?

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  2. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

After speeking with my wife who put everything in perspective (I tend to get a bit wond up and over-react - like chevy case's charictor in the Grizwalds). I think I'll leave Comptia examas for now and just stick to Microsoft exams.

If Comptia change their mind on this renewing policy then I'll try it again, but at the moment I'll leave it.

I'm sure the test centre in Bristol is fine but £170 is a bit to much of a gamble for me.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  3. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Sorry to hear you have had issues, I actually agree with the 3 year renewal but saying that I dont actually rate the CompTia stuff. I have only done the N+ with them but thought the exam was pants. I take the Microsoft stuff because I have to, but the only exams I actually rate are the Cisco ones as they are well written, well timed and difficult for people to brain dump.

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's a common misconception. It's not really any more difficult to braindump a Cisco exam than a Microsoft or CompTIA one. For example, if you know that you're going to receive a simulation on configuring an IP address on a subinterface, you're darn sure gonna study how to do that. More importantly, if you know you're not likely to receive any simulations on how to configure multi-area OSPF, you won't waste your time studying how to do it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!