Failed exam :(

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Toby3Home, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

CCNA is an entry-level certification... When you understand TCP/IP, OSI-model, Vlan, Access lists and so on, you'll pass easy. I'm a java-developper, never worked with routers, but do CCNA in free-time now. It's really very easy.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's all well and good, UD... but when she doesn't have the real-world experience, it shouldn't be surprising when she fails the exam. :rolleyes:

If she's interested in the technology, by all means, she can study it. But there's no reason for her to certify.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. BosonMichael

You can argue this all day long, UD, but as someone who has been in IT for 12 years and been in IT certification training for half of it, it is absolutely NOT an entry-level certification, nor is it related to anything an entry-level tech would be expected to do.

Doesn't matter how easy the exam is... it's still not an entry-level exam.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  4. Unemployed Diogenes

But i see you live in USA Boson... That's a whole difference.
    This is Belgium West Europe, education here is almost the best in the world. I think we have another view on entry-level. Here are other things expected from an entry level tech than in USA... In these days of crisis you just don't get a job in IT here when you don't have the knowledge of CCNA..

5. BosonMichael

If that is true, then why do most of the other fine individuals from the EU on this very forum agree with me? I'd hope they'll give me a little QFT action to back me up on this...

This topic has been done to death, UD. Search for entry-level CCNA and read them for yourself, then if you still disagree with the points that have been brought up again and again and again, by all means, logically refute those arguments.

6. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I expect they will, but something inside me would laugh my socks off if no-one did.

:D

Sorry - no offence meant, must be the sugar rush I've just had! 8)

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  7. Unemployed Diogenes

i'm quite sure if other Belgium ICT people read this they agreed me..
    I don't blame BosonMichael at all, let that be clear!!

Fact is here that in many job offers MCSE(!!) or CCNA required is for a 1st line support engineer...

8. BosonMichael

Then ignorance abounds at those companies.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

If that's the case then it's employers like that who demean the value of the CCNA and MCSE, it is not a bloody 1st line support engineers certification, it's a 2nd\3rd line certification that's meant to prove your experience rather than tell first time employers that you can pass an exam.

Having worked in Luxembourg (Investment Banks) I can tell you that they certainly don't want a first line engineer having an MCSE or CCNA, they want these people to actually start with an entry level cert (N+ or A+ type cert, moving up to the MCDST and then on to the MCSE \ MCITP).

Please stop perpetrating the myth that the CCNA and MCSE are entry level before you further demean the value of the certifications.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. BosonMichael

Repped for being the first to stand up and validate the truth. :thumbleft

11. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Most of the 1st line jobs I've seen in the UK that ask for MCSA/MCSE are in the Carphone Warehouse.
    Nuff said I think.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, dont work for the carphone warehouse...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs