Failed CCNA - score 825

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by oilovlam, Nov 23, 2005.

1. oilovlam

oilovlam Bit Poster

So close, but yet....

After being stripped bare - no water, no watch, no hidden camera - I settled down for a nice relaxing exam. Not!

Everything was going so well, until I got a sulmulation question on configuring switches - VLAN & VTP. I panicked - mostly because I didn't know what to do - and moved swiftly on. To make matters worse I finished with 13 minutes to spare. What sort of exam doesn't let you review your answers? It's not cricket.

The exam breakdown:

Planning & design 85%
    Implementation & operation 80%
    Troubleshooting 52%
    Technology 88%

Does anyone know what troubleshooting entails and the best way to strengthen my skills in that respect?

I do not have a lab and suspect the answer is to get one, then practice til I drop

Any advice much appreciated.

:cry:

PS I had two simulation questions, is that the norm?

Certifications: CCNA, 70-270, SCJP 5
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Troubleshooting usually entails making sure that you know your show commands and debug commands off by heart! 8)

EDIT: Oh and that you understand the output from them.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The sim questions are weighted very heavily. If you don't know your way around the CLI, passing the CCNA will be tough.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

To tell the truth, I can't believe you actually thought you could pass the CCNA without any hands on. At the very least get a Boson NetSim it will give you the ability to work with all the IOS commands that a CCNA certified person should know. That's the least possible route. The better route is to get a few routers and switches and actually do the work.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

This book is a huge asset to have, but I agree with Freddy 100%. No hands on exp was a waste of money. And let's just assume for a moment that you did barely pass. You'd still have to prove you know what you are doing. I don't mean to sound harsh, but even after a year of hands on configuring and troubleshooting Cisco routers I'm still not comfortable enough with my practise exam results to take the actual exam. Sure, I could probably pass the exam, but then a situation would arise where I didn't know the answer and the comment would arise "You're a CCNA and don't know how to do this?".

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

my friend sat and failed the CCNA today
    831 of 849 required
    about 1 or 2 questions

he got strong scores on most sections (above 80% on the most part)

and the sim not only supports the ? command
    but it also is scored in pieces, ie, doing to overall goal wrong, doesnt mean you get 0 points
    setting the vlan ip could net you a point, as could setting the vtp details correctly, despite getting the question wrong over all

seems you need some practical experiance, its not hard to get, and its silly to sit an exam like that without any
    dont try again too soon, you want to be an expert with the IOS before you continue

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. oilovlam

oilovlam Bit Poster

It seems to me that one can practice forever and never feel ready to take the test....I must admit that I was a little lacking in hardware experience, although I used the Cisco Network Academy labs extensively. The problem is that even with routers and switches to fill a room, you may encounter an exam scenario that you hadn't planned for or that looks different under pressure. But that's life

Probably Cisco make the exam difficult in order to stop people like me - without hands on experience - from passing. I think that's good because it makes the cert worth having!

I shall now try to learn switch & router configuration. Then next time alot more time to answering the simulation questions.

Sean
    :blink

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Tough luck Sean, seems you learnt the hard way that hands on practical experience is the key to passing any IT type exam.

Good luck, at least now you know what you are up against :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

There's a good switching lab on the prep centre web site.

I used online racks rather than buying routers/switches.

After a while I was making up my own lab excercises, I'd make sure that every day I'd set up ISDN, Frame-relay, OSPF, EIGRP, RIP, PPP over 3-4 routers. I made access lists and tested them with extended pings. Leading up to the exam I was doing this every day over and over again. For switching I did the lab on the prep centre website until I could do it without being prompted.

I used Mindtech racks they're very reasonable, use the CCNP ones not the CCNA though.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  10. oilovlam

oilovlam Bit Poster

Pete01,
    I like the sound of the switching lab at the 'prep centre' but cannot find this website. Could you please point me in that direction.

Not sure about renting router time though. I shall look into it. Thanks for the ideas anyway

Sean

11. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

http://www.cisco.com/go/prepcenter/

You need to register (free).

Using real routers/switches was not an option for me but online racks are real equipment which most will say are better than sims.

12. oilovlam

oilovlam Bit Poster

Passed my CCNA on second attempt, after 3.5 weeks of extra study. :biggrin
    So what did I do to increase my score from 825 to 900?
    Well the Boson Netsim was about the only thing. It has some bugs - or my copy did - but altogether it was a reasonable router/switch simulator. The lab notes weren't bad either

One point I should mention. The re-take simulation questions were exactly the same as the first time around. Perhaps I was lucky, but anyway the extra work helped me to answer them correctly this time.

Just need to find a networking job now and gain some of that vital stuff called 'experience'. Now that's going to be the hard part!

Merry Christmas one and all

Sean

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on the pass, Sean. :beers2

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good onya Sean, well done 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Grats on the pass!

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Well done Sean :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  17. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Congrats on the pass mate, what's next on the table for you? :beers2

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security