Failed by 18.... argg!!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by algorithm&blues, Jun 29, 2011.

1. algorithm&blues

algorithm&blues Nibble Poster

I took 70-680 this morning through the DreamSpark student offer (god bless the OU!), I only had a week of preparation (due to only finding out about the offer last Tuesday - ending 30th June.) and hadn't really messed around with Windows 7 aside from having the Starter version on my netbook.

Found the exam so much harder than 70-270 which I took in 2006. For the first three or four questions I was genuinely stumped - so many things came up that I'd never come across in the books, but then that's to be expected. I've worked in server support for the last 3/4 years so admittedly I've lost a fair bit of my "hands on desktop" experience. I found the server/network based stuff quite easy - yet struggled with things like configuring IE!

I was so gutted when the result came through - 682!!! Drove away from the test centre thinking "Damn! If I'd have just changed one or two questions then I'd have scraped through!!!"

To be honest if I'd have come away with 500 or less I'd have been less gutted!

I've rebooked the exam for a fortnight tomorrow. I've bought a new book and I'm going to step up my virtual lab in order to prepare for this one. Determined to pass it this time!

Anyone else had any near misses?

2. GW

GW Byte Poster

Years ago I took the Windows 95 certification and missed the passing score by 15 points, basically what got me was all of the Novel networking interoperability questions that I got (I think I had around 12); the book I was going through only had a paragraph on Novel so I was caught flat footed on that. Left the testing center pissed and hit up the book store and read through all of the Windows 95 cert books they had for their info on Novel and took the test again the next day and passed with flying colors (and only encountered 1 question on Novel).

Sometimes it's just a luck of the draw on the questions but look at it this way, with only a week of preparation and limited use of the software you almost passed the exam, that is pretty darn impressive, you should be proud of that not gutted, this next time you are going to score way more than the minimum needed to pass.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  3. algorithm&blues

It was too good to turn down, because I'm still technically a student I was able to get a free exam - as long as I took it before 30th June!

I guess my biggest problem was that I relied on the books a bit too much and didn't really do much in the way of hands on stuff - correcting that this time. I've just spent all night messing about with AppLocker and BitLocker on my own PC.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Bad Luck mate.

There seems to be a number of people just missing out on this one recently. I got 689 a few weeks ago, GBL just missed out, and now you.

5. algorithm&blues

Doing my resit on Thursday. Feeling a lot more confident. I got hold of the Don Poulton book and the Exam Cram book. I even got a lend of the PDF version of the official Microsoft book (I know it's terrible - I just skimmed through to make sure there wasn't anything not covered in the other 2 books).

Using a range of practice exams and getting scores in the range of 850-950 depending on which practice exam I use. So I'm feeling a lot better about it this time around.

6. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Good luck man, let us now how it goes.

I've got this exam in my testout software, and some of it looks quite easy, some of it is a bit in depth. I'd like to take the exam but have never worked in IT before so going to try and prepare a lot for it!

7. algorithm&blues

The most important thing I'd say is to mess about with Windows 7.

When I did the first exam (free through Dreamspark) I must admit I relied on the books FAR too much and aside from Win 7 Starter on my netbook I didn't really play around with it.
    Failing the last one gave me a kick up the arse so to speak. Came home from the test centre and installed Win 7 Enterprise on the machine and set up a proper Server 2008 set up and all.. Feel far more confident now.

Anyway, cheers! Here's hoping.

8. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

how did ya get on mate?

9. algorithm&blues