Failed! Again!

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by agfa gaevart, May 26, 2011.

1. agfa gaevart

agfa gaevart New Member

Can anyone help a desparate man? :blink
    I did the 271 exam on Monday via the second shot thingy, and failed again. I did the same exam two weeks ago, and scored about 500-ish. On Monday I scored around 670-ish, and was pretty pissed-off that I was so close to becoming an MCP, I could smell it! Anyway, I've been looking up stuff on the net, and using the MS book, but it's so awfully DULL and BORING, that I really really do not want to continue with it. I have found the Mike Myers A+ book to be much more fun to read, and have learned a lot from it. I think it actually helped to increase my score the second time . Anyway, can anyone suggest a better learning resource than the stupid MS book? If possible
    I may well take another chance at the 271, before end of June. But I don't really want to fail a third time. Is it worth buying one of the Exam Cram books, as I can get one for about a tenner on Amazon?

Help appreciated,
    cheers.

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

You are close, I know its frustrating but keep going.

Only thing I can suggest is try some more practice exams and maybe a sybex book for study...

As an example Im using the measureup preactice exam ive bought as an additional study aid, and by clicking on the links to the relevant technet article (its speeding up my research and also you get a feel for exam style questions,) which according to a work colleague who got this off a tutor a few years ago is a source where Microsoft get a lot of their questions from(Technet), so worth looking at.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Don't give up mate, you'll get there!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I know the topics can be a little dry and because you find the topic dull you wont be able to take in the information properly.

When I study a subject that I find boring or hard like subnetting for instance I try to think of it as a story if you can see what I mean. This helps take the tediousness out of the subject and makes me want to read more.

Try it for yourself and see if it helps.

Unfortunatley not all books are like the Mike Myeres one's and the other books only become more and more dry.

Good luck on your next attempt.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

I would advise just to not to give up. I haven't used an exam cram book but it could be a good choice. From answering the test Q's, can you remember what type of Q's you found difficult and just try and concentrate on them.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  6. kfoulks2011

kfoulks2011 Bit Poster

I dont have a copy of the Exam Cram book for this exam but from my experience, Exam Cram is a good resource. Transcender is also pretty accurate on the exam questions. they give alot of scenarios that might be similar. focus on your weak parts. take a day and read your weak areas and break it down. spend an entire study session focusing on one thing and just break it down so that in your mind you know exactly whats going on. do that each day for like a week and then cram cram cram. best of luck to ya man. bottom line, dont give up!!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-680
  7. spoovy

spoovy Bit Poster

Sounds to me like you might benefit from some more practical experience. Do you use any virtualisation software? That could help, as sometimes you learn better by doing. Also it's a lot more interesting than re-re-re-reading the books!

I used VMware workstation to install XP on different types of (virtual) hardware; dual-booting, fiddling with BIOS etc. I set up virtual networks with different XP clients, print servers, and Win2k3 servers to get more of a handle on Windows networks, Active Directory, NetBIOS etc. Lots of this info isn't in the tests but it still helps in my opinion.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: CCNA
  8. DryPlate

DryPlate Nibble Poster

Don't give up.. ditto what spoovy said and please tell me you're using the practice exam software that MS Press gives you. That will let you know which areas you need to study on.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCDST, Apple Certified Associate
    WIP: CompTIA Network+, MCITP: EDST 7
  9. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

I agree with what spoovy said. Get some more experience and focus on your weak points. Do practice tests more often than u used to before. Then gear up and book the exam. Success will follow.

Cheers!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science