Failed.... Again.

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Phil182, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

OK so I took my first 271 exam back in March and failed with a score of 633, I then re-took the exam on monday and failed with the same score! However, the areas I didn't do greatly in were different from the ones before.

I found some of the questions rather pointless as there are numerous ways to do one action in XP, so I believe I may have to change my way of thinking in order to pass. Also from my experience the answers I should of given were not relative to how we do things in my company.

I don't think I'm far off but it is getting frustrating, I've used the MS press book and exam cram to revise and the accompanying practice exams, I also have an XP machine to do anything to. It took me 4 months off and on for the March exam and 2 and a half more for the June exam. Does anyone have any tips on what I might be doing wrong or how I could further improve my revision?

Cheers,
    Phil.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-271, NVQ IT Practitioner
    WIP: MCTS: SQL Server 2008
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Unlucky mate,

a lot of the time, it is the most OBVIOUS answer that is the actual right one, so you sit there thinking "that's too obvious so it cant be, Microsoft don't work like that"

remember, theres also slight details on the questions that if you don't pick up on them, you will see the answers and think anyone could work, and the answers are all right, but only one applies to the specific question, it's usually 3 words about "She has XP, it has an AntiVirus installed" which you think is just the story, but it actually signifies which one is the correct answer.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

This is very true, there was also one question that I remember which wasn't in anything I've read or come across before. I guess I'll just have to hit the books harder and look at related topics on the net.

4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Slam the readiness review suite until you're consistently getting decent results.

Read the end of chapter summaries until all of the info has sunk in.

Consider getting a Training Video pack (such as CBT Nuggets which will reinforce the necessary information required to pass the exam)

Compare your two results and see what areas you are weak on and practice the end of chapter practices on your XP PC.

Lastly, don't give up! It can be done, and I'm living proof.

The very best of luck when you attempt it again :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I think you've just answered your own question. I'm sure I read somewhere that there is one MS way of doing things, everything else is deemed wrong (or at least, not as good).
    Since your failing in different areas it sounds like you know the material, so it's more a case of learning how to pass the exam rather than how to use XP.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. Qs

The questions aren't skewed to the extent that they're unanswerable. There should be easily enough time in the 70-271. Just stay calm, revise until you think you're ready and then take your time in the actual exam.

The golden rule is RTFQ

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

Cheers for the tips guys 8)

8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

There's actually 2 ways of doing things: the Microsoft way and the real world way. You just have to get used to learning which one applies to the situation you're in.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

CBT Nuggets did it for me. I started reading the Sybex book but I what I really needed was to get a good look at the menus, the configuration, the functionality of the things you have to know for this exam. I passed my 271 last tuesday and "all" i did to study was watch each CBT tutorial twice, got some Measure Up questions to practise and don't forget: GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND. Whatever exam simulations you use, try to use them as a learning tool. If you don't know how to answer a question google it, do some research, try to find the answer. That effort will help learn your stuff. And don't worry too much about failing. Failure is only natural and it should always be a learning tool rather than an excuse to feel bad about it. Goog luck with your next atempt.

Certifications: MCDST
  10. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

I think you just werent lucky enough, and as someone mentioned above sometimes small key words in the questions can change the answer, not to forget that MS has a unique way of thinking and how questions are asked.
    best of luck next time.

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Practice exams from legit practice exam providers (NOT braindumps!) are great at helping you get into the right mindset for these sort of questions.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Surley "brain dumps" are the best training material for qualifications since they give you all the answers.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  13. Qs

As tempting as it is to reply to this, I think I'm going to leave it to BM.

Qs

14. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

That's called CHEATING, since when has that ever been the right way to go?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  15. Qs

Plus then you're just a paper MCSE.

When you actually need to do something, anything, without the knowledge behind it you'll be found out.

You won't pass any tests of your skill (job interviews for example), and risk being decertified, so what's the point?

Qs

16. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, I should have said "according to Microsoft" somewhere in there.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Surely brain dumps are the best way to cheat to pass the exam... but training material, they're not. Plus, they're the best way to get decertified for life. Would you care to risk it? :rolleyes:

You're *really* not starting out on good footing here, Eric...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

I think I'll take a look at the CBT nuggets, like one of the earlier chaps said, I know the material (though my scores would suggest otherwise lol) it's just a case of understanding Microsofts ways. Thanks for the comments guys, you all do a fantastic job of supporting newbies like me, keep it up! :biggrin