Failed 70-290

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by Keyser Soze, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Bit Poster

Took this exam last week and failed with a miserley score of 514, to make matters worse I had a 350 mile drive home afterwards.

Gave me time to think things over and it has made me more determined to pass next time.

The one thing I'm lacking is experience with the OS, I have set up an evaluation copy of 2003 server on my home machine to get the much needed practical use, I have the MS press book along with Learnkey video and transcender, hoping to resit within the next 2-3 weeks.

I know I made a hash of a couple of the sims, just need to compose myself and reset them next time.

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: MCSA / MCSE 2003
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Better luck next time. :thumbleft

If you gain more hands on experience I'm sure you'll get through it.

Where did you take the test? why not your local testing centre? :ohmy

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

oh, bad luck. Never mind, use it to your advantage for next time.

350 miles to the test centre :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Bit Poster

I'm a student with Computeach, a requirement is that you attend a 2 day in-centre training before the exam (they are based in Dudley, I'm 30 miles north of Edinburgh). Can resit at my local test centre - 5 mins WALK from my house !!!! 8)

Certifications: MCP (70-270)
    WIP: MCSA / MCSE 2003
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd say that hands on experience is absolutely necessary to pass the current exams. Gone are the days when you could just read a book and pass a test. The sims are there to make sure that you can "walk the walk" as well as "talk the talk".

Back in the 1990s, you had a whole population of folks taking and passing cert exams who had never even seen a server or network. They were called "paper MCSEs". They could pass the test, but when it came to actually doing the work, they were lost. Better to learn to actually do the work and get some experience...even with a wee home lab.

Good luck on the retake, mate. You'll get it. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sorry to hear about the fail, it's really not a good feeling I know.

If you feel weak in any areas at all just post a question and we will all jump in and thrash it out together. This forum really can help to consolidate the knowledge.

Yes hands on and then more hands on. Practice what you are reading about or there is no point in learning it.

Do you think you could learn to drive a car by reading a book?

350 miles, eek that's a killer :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. gbhpboy

gbhpboy Bit Poster

Sorry about your experience, I failed 290 first time, didn't even know there were SIMS on the exam (hadn't joined this great forum you see) and got well caught out !

I have a strategy for SIMS, which is to leave them until the end of the exam, you may get info from the other questions on how to do them.

Put yourself in Microsoft's shoes, what can they do a SIM on, bearing in mind it takes them time and effort to program a marking scheme, the can't make them over complex. You'll probably only come up with a list of maybe a dozen things, IP set up, SUS, Perfmon, etc etc.

You mentioned Transcender. They now come with SIMS in them. Try and upgrade your copy to the latest Transcender tests. I've got the 291 Transcender and the SIMS are identical to what you'll see in the exam, in terms of simulated desktop and format, and the 291 tests have 6 practice simulators in them.

From what I've heard from people who have taken that exam, there aren't any SIMS that MS use that aren't in the Transcender test SIMS. My info may be out of date and MS will bring out new ones and try and keep ahead of the game, but I bet my previous statement is not far wrong.

Good luck next time.

Certifications: MCSA2003(Messaging)
  8. gbhpboy

gbhpboy Bit Poster

I would add that I have a lab, with 3 test servers with 2003 on them one 2000 pro client, all networked via a hub, and I do and did plenty of hands on practice. So that is vital as well.

Certifications: MCSA2003(Messaging)
  9. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Best of luck with the exam next time! :)
    Try not to be discouraged! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+