Failed 70-290

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by jec69, Nov 19, 2010.

1. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

Failed with a score of 452, and I studied almost every night for six months! I used transcender and MS press for studying. Is there something else I should use for studying material ? I can't believe I scored that low. Oh well, if anybody could tell me what other books or materials I should use to study, it would be greatly appreciated.

Certifications: A+ Network+
    WIP: MCSE
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Those study tools should be OK. How much server admin experience do you have?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

Well i've been with my company for 4 years now, and we use servers with 2003 operating system. Ive done all the labs I could think of too. When I looked at my test report, it seemed I was weak on:

Manage and Maintain Users, Computers, and Groups
    Manage and Maintain Access to Resources

mid-level on:

Manage and Maintain a Server Environment

Manage and Implement Disaster Recovery

and strong on:

Manage and Maintain Physical and Logical Devices

It showed no percentage, just a graph.

4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to hear bro. I'm sure you're gonna nail it next time.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. BosonMichael

Yeah, Microsoft doesn't give percentages for each section. I would recommend that you focus on those weak areas. Try to remember questions that gave you the most uncertainty or difficulty, and research topics related to those questions. When you're more confident with those, turn your attention toward those mid-level areas.

I wouldn't recommend taking practice exams over and over until you score well. All that means is that you've successfully memorized the answers to those particular questions - but not necessarily mastered the topic. Use the structured exams (often labeled things like Exam A, B, and C) to give you three unique exam simulations, as if you were walking into a testing center environment. Take Exam A, then read through all of the explanations, focusing particularly on the sections where you were weakest. Repeat the process with Exam B, and study your weak areas. Don't take Exam C until you think you're ready for the live exam... because this will be the last opportunity you will have to take an exam full of previously unseen questions - much like you will encounter on the live exam.

Hope this helps. :) Best of luck on your next attempt!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

Thanks LukeP. I know I have to try it again, because I came too far to give up now.

7. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

I wouldn't recommend taking practice exams over and over until you score well. All that means is that you've successfully memorized the answers to those particular questions - but not necessarily mastered the topic. Use the structured exams (often labeled things like Exam A, B, and C) to give you three unique exam simulations, as if you were walking into a testing center environment. Take Exam A, then read through all of the explanations, focusing particularly on the sections where you were weakest. Repeat the process with Exam B, and study your weak areas. Don't take Exam C until you think you're ready for the live exam... because this will be the last opportunity you will have to take an exam full of previously unseen questions - much like you will encounter on the live exam.

BosonMichael, I just wanted to ask you were do I find the structured exams ? or is that something I have to makeup for myself ?

Thanks for your help btw.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Also, you may have been a little unlucky in the hand of questions you were dealt, The questions all come from a large pool and maybe you got hit with very tricky ones or you were just having an off day :biggrin

Either way, cram up some more study and hit it again, i'm sure you will ace it next time!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps some lab work? Even though you are working with Server 2003 its always handy to have a test server at home so you can work through some of the material in the book.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

btw, the bars are not equally weighted.

One bar may only consist of 3 questions, another of 10. So the weak/strong argument may vary there too depending on exactly how many questions it is that you got for a particular exam.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  11. jec69

jec69 Bit Poster

I have done all the lab work in the MS press books. Is there any books or training material out there that has a ton of labs to do? I also have two computers I used for labs w/2003 operating system, and I have more pc's if I need them.

thanks

12. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Used virtual pc software and get trainsignal videos are the best.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  13. BosonMichael

Transcender has them. At least, they did in the past... and I would be rather surprised if they removed that functionality... :blink

Most of the other big-name, trusted practice exam providers should have them as well.

14. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Transcender does still have the pre-structured exams for the 290 as they have with every exam I've purchased from them.

I used them for the 290 and found them to be pretty good; although I did feel the exam was harder then the transcender for the 290, whereas its usually the other way around!!

Best of luck for the resit. :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Really? I found the transcender stuff a lot harder than the 290 exam itself... but maybe you just got a pull of questions that were a lot trickier than I did. :twisted:

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I think I must have 'cause when I saw the first question I let out a little gasp of horror! :ohmy

They did get easier as the exam went on but it was probably that first question or two that still haunts me..:twisted:

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012