Failed 294

Discussion in 'Active Directory Exams' started by Crito, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Crito

Crito Banned

So right about now I'm thinking it was just (bad) luck of the draw and I could probably take it again Monday without any review and pass. But I'm a little p1ssed off too, as the official MS training kit didn't cover everything I needed to know. And the same thing happened to me with 290; the training kit has you practice over and over again one way, then the simulation won't let you do it that way. Three ways to accomplish the task and the only one that the sim allows is the one the book neglected to mention. I skipped one of the three simulations entirely out of disgust. It wouldn't even let me start mmc from the run menu item. Grrr...

Anywho, it was close:

[​IMG]

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

thats a shame Crito. But you did only just fail, if you take it again, theres a good chance you will pass (brush up on a few of the areas mentiond first though). did you sign up for second shot with this?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Crito

Crito Banned

Well, without breaking any NDA agreements, here's a hint for future victims, er, I mean test takers: if there's an optional tool or utility the training kit barely mentions, that's what you'll be forced to use in the simulation. For 290 you even had to download it from MS' website because it doesn't come with the product you're being tested on.

4. Crito

Crito Banned

nope :cry:

5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

time to sign up before the next attempt then. :biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Crito

Crito Banned

I like the idea of performance-based exams but despise Microsoft's simulations. A better model is how RHCE works: you get a real server and it doesn't matter how you accomplish the goal. You can either do the job or you can't. That's all that matters.

With MS a competent person might not be able to complete a simulation because it uses an optional tool they're not familiar with or, conversely, an incompetent person might be able to figure out the simulation just because the options available to them are limited (i.e., just keep clicking stuff until you find something that works.)

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

That sucks just to fail slightly, I remember the PDI+ exam I took (I know its not the same level) but I only failed by 10.

I am sure you'll do better next time, have you got a 2nd shot voucher?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Best of luck on your next attempt!

Word of warning... you might want to remove your name, candidate ID, and registration number... that information can be used to steal your Prometric identity.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Crito

Crito Banned

I did notice they no longer use my SSN# as the candidate ID...

10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Sorry to hear it.
    If you're going to take it on Monday again, why not review the material again? It would be a shame to come just as close and not be successful twice.

Best of luck... 8)

11. BosonMichael

You are correct. Doesn't stop them from calling Prometric up and changing your info because they have your registration number and candidate ID number.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  12. Crito

Crito Banned

Yeah, if I hadn't gotten so p1ssed off and skipped one sim entirely probably would have passed this time around.

In any case, I'm going to review some things I was fuzzy on regardless... not just to pass the exam, but because I might need that info in the real world someday. :idea:

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unlucky mate.

I’m surprised at your comments about the MS Press book. I used it for this exam and it covered most of the questions, perhaps you were just unlucky.

Start complaining at the 70-297, that exam sucks! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well it just goes to show how tricky Microsoft exams can be, and this post should act as a warning to people considering going down the MCSE track. If a very experienced, highly certified, total geek like Crito can fail an exam, the chances of an unexperienced person without a passion for all things IT, passing exams like this is slim.

Let this be an eye opener for newbies into this field. It is not *easy*.

Crito, bad luck mate, i know it sucks to fail, especially when you think it was the format of the questions that hurt you and not a lack of knowledge. I'm sure you'll be triumphant next time round 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. Crito

Crito Banned

It's my first fail in the MCSE track, so I guess I had one coming. I'm sure once my bruised ego heals I'll be ready for another crack at it. :oops

I was weak in a few areas too -- need to brush up on replace/merge loopback setting, for example -- but like I said before, the very first sim p1ssed me off so badly by forcing me to use an optional tool I don't like and never use in the real world that I just couldn't really focus on the rest of the exam. The exact same thing happened to me with 290, so I don't think it's a fluke. The sims are just poorly designed IMHO.

16. Crito

Crito Banned

Yeah, I was expecting the last one to be trouble.

I think sometimes people mistake bad questions for hard questions though.

17. Crito

Crito Banned

Well, I'm taking it again Monday @ 10 AM. So off to Borders I go for espresso and review.

No partying for me this weekend. :cry:

18. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I kind of agree with that. The sims are a good idea, they prove you can make real life changes to achieve a specific goal, to delegate control over an OU or any number of things I have encountered in my 290, 291 and 293 exams. The problem is, as per earlier comments, you are not presented with a full operating system, just a flash based simulation. It looks like the real thing, but you can only click on certain things, and have to take the ‘correct’ route to make the required changes. The beauty of Windows is there are at least 3 ways to do everything, except in exam sims... I like the sims, they should stay, but should be upgraded to a full OS where you really can use real world skills to complete the task.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  19. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I always found this to be a bonus. If it's a sim about something that I just don't know about, I can usually work out what to do simply by clicking on everything, seeing whats open and just working out what to do from there.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  20. BosonMichael

Problem is, that doesn't make for a challenging sim... you simply need to click until you find the only "clickable" path. That doesn't go very far in determining whether someone is truly capable of performing the task.

Thus, I agree with Crito that the sims are poorly developed.