Failed 1st Attempt

Discussion in 'Security+' started by landmine67, Jul 28, 2006.

1. landmine67

landmine67 New Member

I just failed the Security+ exam. My score was 682 and I used Mike Meyers Syngress Book, Testout Simulation Software, and Tcat's PDF.

To me it seems that alot of the qiestions have several answeres that could be correct. It was very hard to eliminate some of the answers and pick the best one.

Any recommendations for more study material?

Thanks,

landmine67

Certifications: Netwrok+, A+, HDA
    WIP: CCNA, Security+, MCSE
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello landmine67

I am sorry to hear you've failed!

Have you tried Transcender? Here's the link:-

http://www.transcender.com/dept.aspx?dept_id=101100

If your not sure what they are have a look under the search option. They will pin point the holes and weak areas in your knowledge/study plan. They are highly recomended by CF members.

Zimbo and Blue Rinse have used them if you have any reservations please Send a PM to them!

Good luck!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. landmine67

landmine67 New Member

Thanks for the direction I'll check that out.

4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Whats Tcats PDF? not BD's i hope

5. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hard luck.. i think the transcenders will be good also you should focus on the areas deemed weak on your score report from the exam. Put in some more sudy time and nail it next time!:thumbleft

PS i think Tcat used to make some appearances on CF - good friends with Trip i think!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. landmine67

landmine67 New Member

I was thinking after failing my exam today. Would I be better served to start the GSEC security trac or just stay with Comptia Security+

The only reason I ask is I was planning on getting some GSEC certs after Security+ anyway.

Which do you guys think garner more respect in the Industry?

Thanks,

Landmine67

8. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i dont know much about the security side of certs and its the 1st time i heard of GSEC (for those also not familiar with them click here) I would stay stick with the S+ for 2 reasons its by Comptia a worldwide leader in entry-level certification and because you already studying for it! Ok you failed it and its expensive to retake but i think you will pass it second time round. get transcender and see your weak areas and study up on them.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  9. landmine67

landmine67 New Member

Here is the link website I was referring to in my above post.

http://www.giac.org/

I will take my Security+ test again and I will nail it next time!

Then I think I'm going to save my money and start the GIAC certifiacation track.

Thanks,

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

To add to Luddym's link, here's an online interactive study guide for the Security+ at CertiGuide.com. According to the website, "Adapted with permission from a work created by Tcat Houser et al."

Link:
    1) Certiguide to Security+ - http://www.certiguide.com/secplus/

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Bad luck mate, these IT exams are often more tricky than people think. Get back on your horse and take it again as soon as possible. As stated above, I would recommend the respective Transcender, they really do help you find your weak areas and drill you sufficiently to give you a much better chance of passing. More importantly, they are a legitimate aid and are used by many conscientious individuals. Worth every penny IMHO, especially if you don't like that bummer, I failed feeling :eek:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi there landmine..

As I am sure you can see from my post, I believe we suffered the same type of issue with the Security+ exam, the only difference being me being lucky enough to be on the other side of pass line....

It is not an easy exam to pass when you are given some truly awkward questions... The best advice I can give to you, is simply when presented with the awkward questions.. say to yourself, what would I do, then say what would CompTIA want me to do, then pick that one... tragic as that sounds....

Also after actually thinking about it, some of the questions I had problems with and got wrong, were ones were I picked the answer that was the quick fix in regards to the question being asked, but actually implementing the answer I used in an actual environment is pretty impractical...

You may want to try to get the book I used from Amazon as well if you intend to pass this beast... (See my post for the link)...

All I will say is this, do not give up, if you give up then you are letting CompTIA win....!! Re-read your stuff, practice and then sit the exam and pass it with a great score, and come back and tell us that you have aced it!!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  13. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

i found the security+ test more difficult to interpret than the CEH, thats just my opinion though.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  14. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Ive been told that the security plus exam can be a bit random.
    For example a mate of mine took the test and had questions about american fire extinguisher colors, not much relevance to security and even less help if your not american ><

But that might have changed now.

Good luck for your next go :)

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well