Facing rejection

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by sneezie, Sep 14, 2005.

1. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

I know this is a depressing subject! I just need to vent my frustration.

I'm tired of job hunting. Each time I get an interview, I get my hopes up, research the company, do my preparations but someone with more experience always beats me to the job. Grrr :cussing

I got a telephone interview 2mrw with a big consultancy offering a salary of £35k (that would be a dream to earn kinda money), if I pass that, there'll be an assessment centre. The recruitment process is so tough! I know I stand no chance with that job, so can't be bothered to prepare. Next week, I got another interview for a database job, they're gonna give me lots of aptitude tests and a database test. I know I won't get that job either cos I don't know much about databases. I hate graduate recruitment, all those horrible aptitude tests :cry:

I know I should be more positive, the recruiters must like my CV else they wouldn't have given me an interview. But I don't want to get my hopes up knowing that I'll probably be rejected.

I better change my attitude, I'm not being very enthusiastic. Right, better read up on databases to improve my technical knowledge. Have to make an effort to prepare, gotta try and give it my best shot.

But I'm just so fed up! :twisted: The only hope I have is that once I get my certs, I'll be in a better position.

Certifications: Degree
    WIP: MCAD in vb.net
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Keep your chin up sneezie.

Although it can be very depressing when you get your hopes up and dont get the job, you have to look at it like this:

Everything happens for a reason. What happenned just wasn't meant to be.

Have you tried applying for jobs directly yourself without the recruitment company? This way you could actually pick the jobs that you know you could do, rather than trying for the ones that you know you couldn't.

8)

3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Sneezie, your profile says you have a degree, in what subject? also, what experience do you have? If you're low on experience (sometimes regardless of the qualifications), then you just need to be realistic in your expectations.

With little to no experience, you cant expect a high paying job right from the word go. If this is the case, and all the jobs you are going for are as highly paid as the one you mention, you might want to reconsider which jobs to apply for.

Sadly in this field its all about experience (and they expect you to have it already, sigh).

Keep going with the interviews though, you'll get a job in the end. Might not be the best job in the world, but a start's a start.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sneezie,

I know it is very hard but it will be worth it in the end. The hardest part is "getting in".
    I have applied for loads of jobs and only 2 people have bothered to reply saying no thanks. I haven't even had a sniff of an interview. :cry:
    Phoenix pointed out a while ago that the IT game is hard when you are in it. Even someone as "clued up" as Ryan has found himself out of work.
    Keep your chin up pal. What is yours won't pass you by. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

I agree with Fergal1982's post(and the other ones too).
    Even if you could get an entry-level IT job
    sneezie, it would be a start for your IT career! :)

Try not to get discouraged because as you
    persevere, you will finally obtain a job. :D

Best of luck with your job search!
    :sunny

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  6. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I gotta chin up and not give up. I will persevere. One day, I will get a job I want!!

For those who are also job hunting, good luck to you too!

I got a degree in Business IT and currently working as a software tester. But I've had enough of my job, I'm tempted to quit, I can't stand it any longer but I don't want to leave and not have another job to go to, so I'm looking for any graduate job roles. Ideally in VB, but not having any luck at all, so I'm branching out into other areas until I get my MCAD cert. I want a graduate/junior role where u don't need that much experience.

I am applying for the right kinda jobs at the graduate entry level but I never hear back from agencies. I call them up, they either say the vacancy has been filled or I don't have enough experience. It's so annoying. The only interviews I can get is when an agency sees my CV online, think I'm suitable, they send my CV to their client, the client likes my CV and gives me an interview.

The 35k job is a one off thing, I am realistic and definitely not aiming that high. It's scary earning that kinda money at my age. Somehow the company saw my CV, thinks I'm suitable and giving me an interview, which I really don't understand why! They're mad. So that job is all a bit of a joke, I know I won't get it.

Have to keep trying.

7. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello again sneezie:

The best thing to do is keep up the
    positive atitude and keep job searching. :)

Also, if it were me, I would keep the job
    you have until you have another job you like
    better.

I am working in a non-IT related job myself
    and am currently updating my resume. :(

I would be so happy to find an IT job and
    put my learning to good use.( I have an IT
    diploma from Community College and one
    IT certification).

Anyway, best of luck with the job search
    sneezie(and to others who are job searching
    as well).

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

err, your older than me mate
    lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

To quote Galaxy Quest, "Never give up...never surrender!"

I know the drill...we all do. Everyone here has been in that position at one time or another. We gear up for one interview after another only to be shot down. Most of the time, when we send in our CV, we don't even get an interview. Often we are lucky just to get the rejection letter. Most of the time, there is just silence.

However, it only takes one acceptance and you're employed. You never know when or where it will happen. Your attitude can be perceived in an interview. If you send off "I give up" signals or "You lot are all scum because you aren't gonna hire me anyway" signals, they'll pick that up and drop you like a basket of snakes.

Sometimes a person who isn't quite up to speed technically will still get hired if the employers believe the person is a good fit for their team, positive, and trainable. Go into each interview like you have the job in the bag. Don't be arrogant but do be positive. If you don't get the job, yes it will hurt. Go off and lick your wounds for awhile then get back into the game.

It'll happen. If I can get a tech job...you can too. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hope you get what you're after sneezie but if you're feeling low, maybe read your own signature once in a while? good luck! :)

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  11. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I faced the "slammed doors" for 3 years before I got the job i have now.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have stayed where I was.

Not getting a job is not always a bad thing.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Geek, why does hindsight push you back to your previous occupation?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes you must be positive when job seeking and persistent and eager. People with little or no experience but have studied IT in a serious fashion may well be of interest to a company that is looking to employ someone that isn't going to demand a high salary. Getting into any industry without experience is tough and because of the complex fast moving nature of IT, it is really tough. Think of the industry as a ladder, there are people that over the years have climbed to the top. There are others that are half way up the ladder and still climbing and there are those that are on their way down :rolleyes: You need to get on the first rung, from there the ladder is your oyster. Go for jobs that you can do or learn to be productive in very quickly. Keep learning and studying and start putting some of your knowledge to use.

Eventually you will be the one interviewing new applicants and wondering why they are so negative 8)

Good luck,

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Some good points there- thanks Pete :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. sneezie

sneezie Nibble Poster

thanks for everyone's input and for being so supportive :D

I will not give up!