Facebook's New Terms Of Service: "We Can Do Anything We Want With Your Content.

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Facebook's New Terms Of Service: "We Can Do Anything We Want With Your Content. Forever."

Facebook's terms of service (TOS) used to say that when you closed an account on their network, any rights they claimed to the original content you uploaded would expire. Not anymore.

Now, anything you upload to Facebook can be used by Facebook in any way they deem fit, forever, no matter what you do later. Want to close your account? Good for you, but Facebook still has the right to do whatever it wants with your old content. They can even sublicense it if they want.

You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof.

Read the rest of the article here. To follow on from this thread

Compliments to Twizzle & Mitzs for the find :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Arroryn
      Arroryn
      I would LOVE to see those T&Cs actually stand up against an intense lawsuit. Srsly.

*trots off to delete Facebook account*
    2. twizzle
      twizzle
      Compliments really must go to Mitzs not me.

I just find it interesting that they can assume they can use your stuff for thier own reasons, make it sound liek they pay your for it, but in reality you have no choice and couldnt prove anything any way.
    3. Arroryn
      Arroryn
      If Facebook are assuming ownership of "anything" that is posted on someone's account and I post up the Graces, which I hold copyright over, there is a clear conflict of interest on an item I clearly hold the IP rights too.

Hah. Tosh. My account's still going though.
    4. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Technically, anything you post on CertForums could be claimed by CertForums, if that's how the CF owners wanted to run their site. Really, how different is Facebooks T&Cs than CertForums' own rules and guidelines?

Bottom line is this: it's THEIR site. Not saying what they are doing is right or wrong... it's simply their decision to make; you must decide whether you want to abide by their conditions of using THEIR site. If you don't want them to lay claim to it, don't post the content there... post it somewhere that doesn't have those T&Cs.
    5. Arroryn
      Arroryn
      Oh, I understand that a lot of the "ownership" element of the terms and conditions of the site are so that they can function - for example, the displaying of thumbnails in profiles, and so on and so forth.

What I don't like is that the conditions of the site can undergo such a change without any notifications being sent - and it is your usage of the site that is the acceptance of these (unnotified) changes. THAT makes me a little nervous.
    6. BosonMichael
      BosonMichael
      Yep. Always gotta be careful with where you choose to post content.
    7. UKDarkstar
      UKDarkstar
      Interesting article regarding this here which also states facebook's point of view :biggrin

I'm sure these things will run and run as the debate continues !
    8. NightWalker
      NightWalker
      I think facebook is rubbish, I am sure some people enjoy it but it really seems like a big time waster to me.
    9. Phoenix
      Phoenix
      The key term your missing is 'subject to your privacy settings'

you have to give facebook a license to use your data in order for them to actually show it to other users
      because you are using their services

this is nothing different from what they were previously, it just better defines whats going on

its no different than email or forums
      if you delete your account here, your posts remain (however embarrassing they may be)
      if you delete an email, everyone you sent it too still has it!
    10. Kitkatninja
      Kitkatninja
      Updated news here.

-Ken