Facebook

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Johnd76, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I have recently joined the Facebook community, then i watched Click on BBC1 on Saturday morning and saw that some mobile phone companys are now putting a dedicated Facebook button on their phones, Is Facebook taking over the world??? :whatthink

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  2. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

i just caught a glimpse of that this mornin on a advert on the web, it is taking over the world yes!
    everyone i see on their phone is normally on facebook!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It's nothing to do with Facebook expecting a button or anything, it's just that the average joe is more likely to buy a phone with deep social networking integration. It's an extra string in the manufacturers bow that only strengthens facebook. It's like a snowball effect.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Not a Facebook user so I wouldn't buy a phone with Facebook button for sure.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

FACEBOOK IS SIMPLY NOT RIGHT, JUST NOT RIGHT........

I have friends because I pick up the phone or drop them an e-mail, I can honestly say as an old fashioned bloke that generally communicates using grunts and nods of the head that none of my mates could care less what I am am doing, when or with who, it's all a bit perverse, we scream privacy laws but yet post up our lives on-line then whinge when our identities are stolen.

To answer your question, I don't think facebook is taking over the world no more than tesco's is taking over the high street, it's the man on the street that decides where he shops and which web site he decides to subscribe to, tomorrow he may decide to shop elsewhere and cancel his login to facebook, and then another one takes it's place.

FOOTNOTE: Yes, I used to have a facebook account because I like many sheep thought it might be interesting to have, then I realised that I have nothing of any value to say that anyone could possibly want to know about.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I am a bit like you, joined to see what all the fuss was about and to be honest its nothing to write home about...people posting things like "there hungover" or "going to the shops" isnt my idea of interesting. Or maybe I have really boring friends!!! :D

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have a facebook account and sometimes use it on my phone but all the people I have on friends list are my friends and not someone I once talked to. Thats why there is only 51 of them instead of some people having hundreds.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

You know you've hit the big time when manufacturers are creating buttons specifically for your company on their products - oh how I envy Mark Zuckerberg and all of his billions!

9. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

I like Facebook, but it's got it's nasty side. For all those interested in IT security, check out Bruce Schneier's thoughts on Facebook. Pretty horrible when you realise that YOU - (your comments, preferences, pictures etc) are facebooks' product which they sell who ever is buying. Why else do they keep trying to change your privacy settings? oh yeah, they want to sell more and more of your private life to there customers and "partners".

For me twitter is pretty interesting (not using the site myself). I heard a lecture suggesting that twitter can be thought of as a form of collective consciousness or a network of thoughts. Instead of your thoughts being only in your head, a part of them are projected onto the internet by tweeting. Everyone following you becomes part of your conscious and is ambiently being updated in realtime -(yes the good and the bad thoughts :) - did we really need to know that you just farted etc) :)

The lecture suggested that through services like twitter mankind demonstrates a marriage between "mind and machine'. Without realising (or having microchip implants :) ) we have become the first "cyber-organism" on the planet by using the internet as an extension of our consciousness.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  10. cisco lab rat

Being part of a collective consciousness is a great idea, like the Borg one day maybe, but not when the entire collective is tweeting about their farmers, being part of the Twitter Collective........."Intelligence is futile, you will be dumbed down"

11. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Granted, if the majority of twitter is a reflection of man's current state/evolution of mind collective consciousness, we are doomed. lol

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  12. cisco lab rat

first rule of fight club...............................