FACEBOOK - Good or bad?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Bumblebee07, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Bumblebee07

Bumblebee07 New Member

Im getting peed off with it. Seems that its so hard to switch certain settings off and aint as simple as how it was when it first come out.

I have also noticed how lots of other shopping sites are allowing you to log into their site via facebook log in. Now to me thats just so that facebook can tell what else your interests are and then advertise on your page.

Im all for keeping in contact with each other, however its freaky how they know all your interests etc. I would delete it however im kinda hooked to keep updating it now and feel like im a victum of the facebook bug now :(

It will get to a stage where facebook will know where you are, who your with and what your doing next without you updating eff all on your status. . freakkkyyy

2. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

its all about psychology analysis which you have pretty much summed up in your last paragraph, they are building a picture of every personality that is on facebook which they can make money from the advertising.

Facebook are very honest though in saying that if no one posted status comments anymore then they would go bust

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Facebook only know all your interests if you tell them, its a very clever set-up and the way that advertisers can target such a vast audience refined to their interests is something that nobody else can match in scale to Facebook.

As far as it being good or bad for personal use, that would depend on you as an individual. I use it to keep in touch with friends and family and post photos that I want to share with those friends and family. Other than that it serves as no other purpose to me but I do see others posting everything from the moment they wake up till they go to bed, playing games or generally having a laugh and sharing experiences.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. satz

satz Bit Poster

As SimonV said it's up to you how you use it if its for good or bad. I just use it to a minimum to stay in touch with people. I know some people post thier whole life up on FB or Twitter on a minute by minute basis and their are some privacy that they will fall victim to. But main point is it's still up to you on how much you choose to share and control your own information.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Never been near it - one of the advantages of being old.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs