F1 coverage - going to Sky

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Sparky, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yes, I know some races will still be on the BBC but I am disappointed that not all of the races will be on the BBC as the coverage is fantastic.

Any other F1 fans concerned about this?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I certainly am. Been an f1 fan since the mansell days. The newbie has always given the best coverage meeting itv hands down. Can't afford sky sports and if I could don't really do football so what would be the point.

Rip f1

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Sparky

Yup, a few of my friends have got into F1 recently as they liked the BBC coverage and don’t have Sky Sports so their interest will drop next season. We were even talking about going to the British Grand Prix next year.

I do have Sky but I will be very surprised if their coverage gets anywhere near what the BBC is doing this year.

According to some reports F1 was dropped to keep Wimbledon. <sigh>

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Gutted, refuse to sell a kidney to pay for Sky Sports and ten pay again for all the good boxing and football. Soon there won't be owt on the BBC apart from EastEnders and repeats. Wonder what we pay our licence for.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. Toasty

Toasty Byte Poster

Give the allegations against news international and Sky have said that James Murdoch as is to stay in charge I have cancelled my Sky package and will not re-join until the Murdoch’s are gone from Sky.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CCNA
  6. PPD2387

PPD2387 Byte Poster

At the start of the Hungarian GP this afternoon Martin Brundle began his commentary by saying "Sky is closing in..." and then made reference to the poor weather (I would have expected him to say "The skies are closing in"). A blatant dig at the recent events. Made me chuckle!

7. Sparky

Yup, a few fans shouting about Sky after the race as well.

8. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

It'll be a shame to see F1 go to Sky, an ad break every 5mins hardly worth the bother to watch it.

I suppose tennis is great if you like staring for hours on end at an activity which leads to nothing, results in nothing and changes nothing, a bit like football.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Got myself a Humax PVR, licence fee is bad enough, not giving extra cash to Sky.

Don't like football, quite like the boxing and F1 sometimes, however we lost boxing years ago...

Anything thats not on freeview, I just won't watch. If enough people vote with their feet then sports people won't be famous if they stick to this pay per view nonsense...

10. Sparky

You could say that about anything mate :)

dmarsh likes this.
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I was pretty pissed off when I heard about this, it's a real shame. I think the only hope it would happen was if the teams scuppered the deal or they managed to find a clause in the concorde agreement. Even though Ecclestone had done the deal before even speaking to them, it seems that have all of a sudden become positive about it because he's offered them extra money than they would have been getting under the current deal.

I could see this leading to quite a dropoff in viewership over the next few years though. The teams aren't taking a very long term view I don't think as the extra millions in the short term is blinding them a little.

I for one can't see myself paying an extra £23 quid a month just to watch F1 on sky sports. F1 is the only sport I follow and have done since the 80's. I think I'll try and find another way to watch it (Internet streaming maybe) or try and not hear the result and watch the highlights.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

True, true!

I did read some place that it costs the Beeb more per viewer to screen F1 than it does to screen the lesser sports, I think I heard a figure of £40million a year for the overall contract to screen it.

Shame if it goes, the one sport where Brit's excel. The beeb ought to be championing this sport, not screen constant stream of losers parading around on court with their misrable hang dog faces.

Button is a geezer and Hamilton is insane. What more could you want from a sport.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  13. AJ

Here here

14. AJ

Still then you look at todays race and think you know ................................

15. Sparky

16. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I was actually pretty happy with the decision, I dont like F1 and now our tv licence will halve in price :tune

17. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Incorrect. The license fee is unchanging. In point of fact, the freezing of the fee has been cited by Jake Humphrey as one if the reasons that he deal was struck.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  18. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I know this! :blink

19. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ah. It didnt read like that.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present