Extra study material for MCDST

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by snout71, Sep 27, 2009.

1. snout71

snout71 New Member

Hi all

I have read MCDST self paced training kit from microsoft

i started doing the exam objective questions and scored well (80-90%)
    but when i started the Practice exams, i flopped big style got 8 questions right out of 32 then quit

It was a big ego blow

Anyone recommend any other study material, or videos that isnt going to cost me a fortune?:(

Certifications: comptia A+
    WIP: mcdst
  2. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Have a look on this forum. You're not the first and you won't be the last.
    There's a huge gap between the objective questions and the "real" questions. The exam lies somewhere closer to the former.
    I'm thinking they structure the questions like that so you can learn better, but then I remember that the answers to about 5% of the 70-271 exam prep questions were wrong.
    Go through every question and make sure their answer is right. that got me over 900 in the exam without any other study materials.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  3. Adrian.Popescu

Adrian.Popescu Byte Poster

I'm in the same situation. I have gone through the MS book and ExamCram and just when i thought i'm going to get 90% out of transcender and Measureup i score around 40%. That got me down quite a lot but i'm not giving up...I've got A+ and N+. The questions in these exams are hard but no where near as confusing as the Microsoft ones.

Certifications: City&Guild's Level2&3, CompTIA A&N+, MCP
    WIP: MCDST
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

And thats the nub of it - they are confusing, it seems purposely so because the information you will get from users will also be confused.

Do some more of the practise tests and make sure to review the answers so you can see where you were wrong but most importantly why you were wrong.

Good luck

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

And don't forget, you can always buy another book (not really a big investment if you sell it later on ebay or to a forum member), and read that book from cover to cover.

Some of us simply learn better by rereading, over and over again the same material, but from a different view point. In my opinion, just redoing the same practice exams over and over is not going to teach you as well as if you were to read again, perform the lab tests again, and possibly use new material to do so whilst in the process.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  6. Adrian.Popescu

Adrian.Popescu Byte Poster

Don't get me wrong i'm not blaming everything on Microsoft and the way they write the questions. I'm sure that if I had no gaps in what I studyed I would pass, so it's down to me really. I've got the MS book, ExamCram book and i'm even thinking of buying the Sybex one. I've got the Transcender practice exams but i'm leaving these for when i get closer to the exam date so I get an acurate feeling of what I do or dont know. Thank's for the tips guys. This forum has been and is extremely helpful.

Certifications: City&Guild's Level2&3, CompTIA A&N+, MCP
    WIP: MCDST