Extra DVD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrNice, Dec 26, 2004.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Ok maybe I am just be being stupid but... I just installed a new DVD-RW drive in my pc, I had a DVD-ROM and CD-RW drives previously installed so I removed the CD-RW and replaced it with the new DVD-RW drive. Both drives are physically installed on IDE 2 and the DVD-ROM is configured as master and DVD-RW is slave. Both drives appear to be working correctly but under my computer I have an extra DVD drive F which does not physically exist? Anyone any advice on how I can remove the mystery drive and why it appeared in the first place? Thanks in advance. :oops:

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

First thoughts would be to run auto-detect for the IDE devices in your BIOS, MrNice - make sure the PC isn't pointing to the old CD-RW as a legacy drive, even tho you've removed it.

Apologies if you've done this already, and I'm stating the bleeding obvious ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Cheers Jakamoto,

I already tried that but soon after my post my brother comes in and informs me it is the virtual drive he created for using burning software. :oops:

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good one, Mr. Nice. Glad you got it sorted. Another good troubleshooting tip...always ask the other users of the machine...or at least your brother. ;-)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i was going to suggest it might be something like alcahol or daemon tools, but as you didnt mention them i i didnt think it could be that :)
    sorry

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Yeah your bang on Phoenix, it was alchohol 120 or whatever it's called. I never installed it and never noticed it with all the christmas wine, suprised my post made any sense at all!
    Cheers chaps :biggrin