Extra certs

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by zxspectrum, Jul 1, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

This time next year, i will have my degree and i will be applying for jobs, im already applying for volunteer work to get my foot in the door. As ive got spare time on my hands, should i go for the MCSA and MCSE certs?? If so how should i go about this, i mean should i use a college, or the self certificate way which some people have done on this forum. I have been looking at the books/kits on amazon and whilst they are expensive, they may prove their worth in the long run ?? Or would it be pointless in having the certs because i have the degree??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Come now, you've been here long enough to know that the defacto standard recommendation on the forum is to not do the MCSA/E until you have the relevant commercial experience...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Although that's not the Forums standard recommendation, that's Microsofts standard recommendation but I happen to agree with them.

Wait until you have the experience to do them, use them as proof of experience rather than as a way to get a job.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Microsoft do not do any certs for people with no experience, I would recommend the A+ and N+ but if you are looking at getting certs to help with a job then these will not be a great help I feel :(

Certifications: A few.
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

JUst because you will have a degree doesn't mean that you are beyond the normal entry level certs. A+,N+ and MCDST plut the upgrades if you wish and no further until you have XP points.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?