External PC Power button

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fergal1982, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Does anyone know if you can get wired power buttons for your PC, so that you can sit the power on the desk, and not have to reach under whenever you need to turn it on, etc?

Ideally I want a USB type device, rather than having to manually wire a power button, since I'd be giving the missus one (oo-er) for her work.

I suppose a Wake-On-Lan type system might do it.

Any ideas? Sure I saw one of these in the past, but I cant find it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Cant you just get a keyboard with them on it?

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

not sure about external power buttons, but as said you can get keyboards with them on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Fergal1982

true. although the keyboards in question usually just sleep a pc. ah well, will just have to keep rooting around under the desk.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've never heard of a PC that comes with that feature, but if you invent it, patent it, and market it, the world is your oyster. :D

Actually, I have always wondered why the button that opens and closes the CD/DVD try on a PC is *under* the tray. When the tray is open, you have to fumble around under it to get to the button. If it were on top or to the side, it would be much easier to reach. Seems like a minor tweak to me. Maybe you should invent *that*.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

The Macs Keyboard has functions like this by default...

and I've seen USB ones for PCs, only USB ones as they could remain low-powered by the PC whist it is off, this power is enough to kick start a PC (I have a PS/2 keyboard with a "power" button, but it only switches off and not back on)

It's there already, no need to invent...

If you won't want trouble you can put your PC in standby mode and wake it up with mouse/keyboard action

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...
  7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I assume it's ATX.

I have a setting in BIOS that allows me to turn the power on via the keyboard, I can turn me pc OFF and all I have to do to turn it on is press any key.

Have a look in the BIOS Settings

Regards

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

These sort of things have existed for many years... it's called a "power center" or a "power hub", which is basically the same thing as a "power strip". They are typically placed underneath the monitor:

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You can just push the trays ya know Trip, then it will close again. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. BosonMichael

You know, I wish someone would make an easy way to get the Coke from a Coke can. Whenever I bite into the side of the can, I ALWAYS end up spilling a little (okay, a LOT) on myself or my desk.

Man... whoever comes up with the fix for that is gonna be R-I-C-H.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

True, but my understanding is that practice isn't good for the unit in the long run. The button placement seems like a glaring design flaw that could easily be fixed. Guess that's my pet peeve for the day. :wink:

12. BosonMichael

I realize I'm only one individual (well... most of the time I'm only one individual :wink), but I have yet to cause a tray mechanism to fail in all my years messing with computers, and I always nudge the tray closed. Of those computers I've administered, I've only known of one to fail ever, and I don't know how that user typically closed his/her CD tray.

In any case, if there were a more accessible button, I'd still never use it. :)

13. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Same here BM, I have nearly always closed trays that way. First time I have have heard it's bad for them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Guess I'll have to be the curmudgeon for this thread. I *still* say it's poor design that has resulted in the vast majority of computer optical drive users to turn a non-standard method of closing the tray into the de facto "standard". However, I've caused this thread to go off course. :offtopic

15. guestguest

guestguest New Member

16. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Trip, you could of course just wire any momentary switch from the existing power button up to you desk, and either mount it on the desk or in a small box / panel on the desk. You only need the switch, 16/0.2 guage wire and a header jumper that fits the pins on teh mobo. Its how the on switch is wired into the case anyway so in reality your just extending those wires.

And then ya can get some nice light up switches to use!

http://www.bulgin.co.uk/HTMLDocs/news/IllumVandalSwitches.html

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  17. Fergal1982