External Hard drive needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ablacklock90, Nov 1, 2008.

1. ablacklock90

ablacklock90 New Member

Well, the inevitable has happened and I have filled my hard drive with music for my ipod so I'm going to need to buy an external hard drive to store it all on.

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend me a couple? I want a 120gb one and preferably want to spend as little as possible (I'm a student and money=beer :P)

Cheers guys

2. billyr

billyr Kilobyte Poster

I'm thinking of new one myself. So far I have it narrowed down to either a freecom toughdrive or a Lacie Rugged.

I think I might have a subliminal rubber fetish.:oops:

Certifications: CCNP, CCSI, MCSE W2k/W2k3, MCITP_SA
    WIP: Taking it easy for a while.
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I guess if your going for cheap and cheerful, the maxtor are cheap and available here:-

Maxtor STM3250310AS 250GB SATAII 8MB Cache - OEM = £22.99 all you need is a HD caddy to connect it to your PC:-

Icy Box 3.5 IDE USB Aluminium Silver Caddy = £20.49

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. ablacklock90

ablacklock90 New Member

haha! I had a look at the toughdrives as well. It's probably a good bet for me because I'll need to transport the HD quite a bit and the rubber can protect it... as well as keep Billy happy :tongue

A cheap drive with a caddy would be good but I'm worried it might get damaged :S Cheers for the suggestions guys

5. scottm

scottm Bit Poster

check out amazon they have drives starting from £30 brand new plus delivery is really cheap. i would recommend western digital passport. theyre small and tough and fast at transfer and are not expensive

Certifications: A+, CENT, MCTS, 70-271
    WIP: MCDST, CCNA
  6. Big Brotha

Big Brotha Bit Poster

Problem is the SATA drive and the IDE caddy are not compatible with each other.