Extensible Virtual Lab

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Jock_McTartan, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Jock_McTartan

Jock_McTartan Bit Poster

Has anyone thought about setting up a shared virtual lab using something like the VPN software from the Logmein guys? (https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp)
    Not sure how well it would work but it could mean that we could securelly share and learn from larger labs across a network - there are obvious limitations to it but may be good to experiment with, join large domains, do RIS setups without setting up your own server etc etc
    Would obviously require some common configuration and cooperation (trust).....

Anyone up to giving it a try...or is it a hair brained scheme?

WIP: 70-270, Linux+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

There lies the problem, If you set up one thing what is to stop another person fron changing it so that next time you use it you not only have to re do what you had done, but also what you intended to do in the first place!

8)

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I have considered this a lot, however there are numerous issues to consider
    firstly license aggreements for software, you know how ms can be
    also connectivity requirements, storage costs, etc etc
    it can sure add up

the multi people bits not an issue, for training everyone would get there own little set of machines to play
    with ESX this is more than attainable with resource pools and resource reservations etc,
    I thought it would be great to just sell time on a VMWare farm where you pay per week for x Ghz of CPU and x GB of Memory and do what you want with it
    that was my plan atleast :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I know a few companies that do this with Cisco kit but so far I've never come across anyone doing it with MS products, except for the Microsoft Labs of course. It's certainly an interesting proposition but like Ryan said the cost of licensing this would most likely be the end of it.

Even if it was done between lab partners it coul be useful.