Extended

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Jun 10, 2008.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'm starting my 3rd month at my current contract job. The job was originally slated to last only through the end of June, so I started making inquiries of the contract agency a few weeks ago. I heard back saying they had phone messages in to the placement company but no word back yet.

Last Friday, I worked up my nerve and approached the head of HR here and asked if they would consider hiring me on permanent, full-time. She smiled throughout the entire conversation, which I hope was a good sign. Their stance is that they want to make sure there is enough steady work to justify such a move, but they'd certainly consider it. A "big project" (whatever it is) is coming down the pike soon, so I imagine how I handle that will tell the tale.

Yesterday, I got a call from the contract agency saying that the placement folks asked to extend my contract until the end of August. That's a step in the right direction but still not the "brass ring". I've let everyone know that if the job of my dreams falls into my lap, I'm taking it (I doubt that it will in this economy, but you never know).

Life as a contractor just keeps strolling along. In the meantime, my wife made me go to a class on improving family finances last night (it's the 2nd in a series...she went to the first one last week but was busy last night). Nothing like the "nudge" that I'd better "get on the stick" and start producing some long green for our (hopefully) retirement years.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Two more months is two more months. Congrats! And I hope you get some permanency soon!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Thats good news, maybe they will make you a permanent employee they obviously like what your offering them at the minute.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

You must have impressed to get an extension on your contract. Fingers crossed you will get taken on permanently.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Congrats on the extension - hopefully this will lead to a permanent slot.

6. Neil

Neil Byte Poster

Sounds like its heading in a permanent direction to me. I'm guessing that the extension is to further evaluate you as if you're already "permanent staff" (seems like they're already comfortable with you). That's 5 months........close to half of a year -- which is enough for them to analyze and consider if having you on full time would be worth it. In that way, they'll be able "to make sure there is enough steady work to justify" the need to have you fulltime on their permanent staff. Timing is everything here, so make sure you have something to do almost everyday from now to August!

Certifications: CompTIA A+ & Network+
    WIP: MCSA: 70-270
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

hey if your looking to improve finances, read/listen to John Cummuta, David Bach and moneysavingexpert.com, all useful tools and tips for educating yourslef re family finances :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Actually, the missus is already something of an expert, but she's always looking for new ways to educate *me*. :wink:

9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the extension Trip.

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good news Trip. At least you'll be staying out of trouble for the next couple of months. :twisted:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

That would be nice for a change. :wink: