Extend Virtual Machine Hard Disk [VMWare]

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by Ence, May 3, 2009.

1. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

OS XP / VMWare - Workstation

I ran out of space on C:\ and VM client is getting sluggish as of no space left on disk.
    when building VM box I think about disk space well I need more.

I added an 2nd disk change both to dynamic was going to change then both to Raid0 so I would have one drive letter and not have to change pointer or move file about.

Doughnut - Can't extended boot/system dive.

Q: Anyone try this ? tutorial

I'll back before I start. service console - :blink Virtual DiskFactory - so error ! no looking at VMWare Disk Manager - ta dmarsh

Thanks

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The tutorial you posted seems to be a rather complicated way to go about it.

Here is a simple general process to resize a VMWare fixed size virtual disk.

1. Ensure snapshots are committed. (I only use player so I've never had to do this because I don't use snapshots.)

2. Use defrag and sdelete from within the vm to condense free space.

3. Use VMWare Disk Manager with vm shutdown to resize virtual drive (by compacting space above you can safely shrink, but in your case you want to expand.).
    http://petruska.stardock.net/Software/VMware.html

This is basically just a GUI to the vmware command line tool vmware-vdiskmanager.

4. Boot into VM use a partition tool to expand partition into extra virtual drive space. (Diskpart / Partition manager).

In future you can create an expandable virtual disk where the file is broken into chunks, slightly less performant but removes resize hassle.

3. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

^ oo :cool you edit post .) - not used or seen vmware-vdiskmanager before.

before you edite post i was looking at site on how to.
    No Documents Match: Current Focus: "resize virtual drive", KB Article.

- no sysprep file were my cd at college or at home some were.
    Now has file...

error from VMware DiskManager GUI / Virtual DiskFactory
    component TABCTL32.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered file missing or invalid

4. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I do not understand your last post ? What are you saying ?

5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

DMarsh's post was spot on.

Step 1 - Commit all snapshots. Do NOT eliminate/ignore this step (trust me - from painful experience!)
    Step 2 - Extend the VMDK file (either using VMKFSTools in ESX or VMWare Disk Manager in non-enterprise versions)
    Step 3 - Boot the VM to a partition editor (my favourite is the GPartEd Live CD - this sits on all my ISO stores)
    Step 4 - Extend the drive using the partition editor
    Step 5 - Boot the VM as normal, let the Checkdisk run and then, when the O/S loads, check out Disk management - your O/S drive should now have been extended to fill that extra space you added in step 2

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yeah I have a bad habit of editing posts but thats generally due to having to use some really crappy internet connections that often cause me to lose my post otherwise.

7. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

error: from VMware DiskManager after loading !
    component TABCTL32.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered file missing or invalid
    edit

Just show should planed ahead and think about drive size! save ahell alot of p!ssing about :(

8. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its a tabbed dialog active X control, it should normally be in Windows\System32.

Since its a COM component you can get it to register itself in the registry with regsvr32 TABCTL32.OCX.

It should be installed by an applications installer as it does not ship with windows.

You can download it here :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957924/

Otherwise you can just run the command line version and figure out the correct switches.

Looks like you need the x option. I used the GUI tool, had no tabcontrol.ocx issue, must have got it installed from somewhere.