1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explorer.exe causing CPU 100% in XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrNice, Mar 15, 2006.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Alright dudes,

Just wondering if anyone has come across this old problem before? problem is the apparent "fix" does not work for me?

The problem arises when I try and access .AVI files from windows explorer, my system pretty much crashes and explorer.exe will run my CPU at 100% until I force it to close or reboot.

The microsoft fix is allegedly included in XP SP2. I have XP pro and SP2 and still have problem. I have also tried the registry editing which appears to be the correct fix that is widely available on the web. Deleting this pair seems to work for most?

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
    3. Delete "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

Nothing works for me, anyone any ideas?

2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

what program are you using to open the files?

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I use VLC player normally, but I dont have to open the file, just going to the folder they are stored in is enough, soon as my mouse hovers over a file it happens.

4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

could be a combination of explorer thumbnail view and missing avi decoders (divx, xvid, etc.). so i guess my question is, do you have thumbnail view enabled in your windows explorer, and are the avi files specifically encoded?

[edit] it already happens when hovering over the file? hmmm. can you go into folder options > view > advanced settings, and disable the option show pop-up description for folder and desktop items, and tell us if this changes anything?

5. AJ

AJ Administrator Administrator

I've had this problem before and d-Faktor is right. You may also find that you can't delete the file because explorer is trying to make the thumbnail still.

If that happens, restart you machine using a win98 startup disk Bootdisk and delete it when in DOS.

It worked for me anyway :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Looking at doing ..................
  6. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for all the input,

I tried everything recommended here but nothing seems to work.
    I can easily delete the files at any time, never had this message saying file is in use, problem is I want to view most of these files, unsure if there is specific encoding on them. They do actually work and I can watch them but after that I need to force explorer.exe to shut down and then restart it to free up my CPU. Of all the stuff I tried the registry editing makes most sense but doesnt work for me, and I dont know why? :x

7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Does this happen on all players or just isolated to the one VLC?

8. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

all players, if I use windows media player it hogs about 75% CPU and explorer the other 25%. with others it's just explorer that goes 100%

9. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

a. Try turning off folder synchronisation on C: if configured as it can affect to use of certain media files like .avi files on auto preview in my experience. [this is simple..]
    or
    b. Try using the actual Divx encoder to play .avi files, after first uninstalling you current encoder, and see if that is an improvement.
    or [still probable]
    c. see if it can auto preview the file using an administrative account, ie if it does not reinstalll nad start the app as an administrator - rather like what happens to Outlook when you first set it up on a pc..

HTH

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  10. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

did you just delete the {87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E} part from the data field, or did you delete the default string altogether?

11. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hi,
    I first deleted just the data but when that never worked I deleted the entire string.

12. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

if you go to c:\windows\, or c:\winnt\, there should be a clock.avi. do you have the same problem with that file?

13. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  14. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

15. dotnetms

dotnetms Bit Poster

I have this problem always and sometimes reboot helps.
    First time was caused by a virus/trojan, second time
    was cos of a dumb program i installed.

John