Exploratory Interview

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rafek, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Greetings all,

I've been in my job for almost 7 years working as a production planner for a well known food company. My duties include call logging/ order processing and general admin.

Now I've been applying for a few 1st line support / helpdesk jobs will little success, so I sent a email to my HR dept. to ask if there's any junior positions or helpdesk spots available now or in the future.

To my great supprise they've lined me up for an Exploratory Interview on Friday with the HR guy and two IT project managers.

What should I expect to be questioned on? the interview is for 2 hours and i dont think I can talk for that long :eek:
    Any help or advise would be muchly appreciated:blink

The HR guy said its just a chat and not to worry about anything though he asked for an updated CV...should I take my school/college/other certificates?

Thanks in advance

sorry about the essay

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I wouldn't bother with any certificates, not at this stage. All they are doing is sounding you out, getting to know you, trying to decide if you would fit into their organisation.

you may find that the 'interview' will be very relaxed and they will simply talk about the company and monitor how you react.

Good luck though! 8)

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I would also expect a few technical questions, very general problem solving questions but nothing too technical. Sounds like a foot in the door, or at the very least, good interview practice. :D

LIke SGUK said, relax and enjoy. At least it will be during works time.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Thanks guys, I'll stop worrying now.

Good point AJ it has been a while since I've had an interview I'll try to remain calm and answer any technical questions the best I can.

Thanks again :)

5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

That's the ticket mate :thumbleft

just remember, it is always better to take a couple of moments to think about your answer rather than just jumping in straight away.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. elli5on

elli5on Kilobyte Poster

The interview i went on yeesterday ws with another 5 people. We were asked a few techical questions but nothing to major.

I emailed them my CV before i went to the interview, didnt take anything else with me except a big :biggrin

One part of the interview i hated was competence test!! I hate those things. Another part involved going into the call centre where one of the interviewers would call your phone (pretending) to be a customer. Explained a problem they had with their PC and what they could do to resolve it. Something id never done before but good fun. After this, they grouped us all together and decided to go for some role play........... ''you are on a boat which is going to sink in 15 minutes time. You have 15 items on the boat, but can only take 5 with you. You can see a desert island in the distance. Which items do you take and why?''
    Now this was pretty cool, think it was mainly to see how we worked as a team, wether you are a leader/assisstant. I chose a box of matches and gave a full speech on why.

Enjoy yourself buddy

Certifications: A+ N+
    WIP: Thinking of MCDST
  7. Kerfuffle

Kerfuffle Nibble Poster

I'd take Ray Mears :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, ITIL v3, 70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  8. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Ok back from the interview..

Turns out it was for a trainee Analyst Programmer :blink

Anyway it was good experience, I even answered a few technical questions correctly :ohmy ok they were to do with the OS, I did explain that I had no programming experience:confused3

The HR guy said he realised that I'd asked for helpdesk/hardware side of the IT business, he just thought the programming may interest me as there's nothing available at the moment.

Anyhoo he's keeping my details incase anything opens up on the helpdesk :thumbleft

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i hate it when that happens, they advertise for one thing, and when you apply, they say its for another. probably do it on purpose to get more replies! :dry

10. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Yep with an agency I'd agree with you there CM, but I didn't expect this for an internal vacancy.

Not to worry it was good to meet them and they now can but a face to my name, and keep me in mind for anything in the future