explaning job gaps on CV and application

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mallet, Feb 12, 2012.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

I trying to fill out an application form but according to the description it says to write any job/breaks gaps you might have. I question how big of a employment gap I am allowed to have before they raise an issue. Currently I am still looking for work but its still really competitive. I got down my present work on the application which was Aug 2010 to Feb 2011. this was project work and they had no intention of me sticking around for the long run. and before that was Mar 2008 to July 2009 that period was down to the recession and I was part of a mass layoff from our NHS.
    Would anyone recommend that I need to explain the 11 month gap between my last role and the NHS?

The other issue I got is, I got a call from a recruiter about a 2nd line support I was applying for. she said, she would put me forward for the perm position they have and recommend me to look for a temp contact. do you think this is the right back in perm work? I asked two of my job centre advisor's about the year job gap I got and both gave me two different answers:
    1) write another entry in your cv putting in voluntary work. Now, I do give out some advise or help to my friends and family who needed help fixing there PC's and was thinking of putting that in my CV.
    2) the other advisor said to put down the above I mentioned about helping and friends and family HOWEVER, put the job title down as "entrepreneur" instead of voluntary :|

Certifications: MCP
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

There are so many people looking for work that not having a gap in your CV is lucky, be honest about it, explain that due to the recession you have found it difficult finding new work.

Just so you know, you're not the only one to experience it, I had the misfortune of spending six months out of work a couple of years ago due to the recession (it had just kicked off when I was let go from my then current contract (had been there 18+ months anyway).

I really wouldn't worry about gaps on the CV at the moment, give it a couple of years when there is plenty of work out there and you're still having to explain gaps and that's the time you should be worrying.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I wrote a huge response to this last night and pressed the wrong button to submit.

Sooo...

... as per SimonD, don't particularly worry about the job gap. A lot of people are in the same boat at the moment. If you wanted to put in that you did voluntary work I would avoid putting it down as anything related to a business start up. If you give the impression that you are looking to go independent, anyone looking to fill a permanent vacancy may see you as a risk to hire.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

thanks guys. sorry for the very late reply. was busy with my application forms. I heard this topic about job gaps was covered a few times so again, sorry about that. I am not sure why searching the forum didnt pick up anything about job gaps help but the related topics at the bottom of this thread were also good source of help :)

Thanks for the support Simon :)

doh. I was even looking forward to your mega thread :biggrin but thank you for your advice.

Certifications: MCP