Explanation please

Discussion in 'A+' started by MrNice, Nov 23, 2004.

1. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

I was always under the impression that to determine the IP address of a pc you used winipcfg in Win9x and Ipconfig in all later versions.
    Determine the IP address of your Win98 PC using the least effort? 2 choices
    1)ping command 2)netstat command 3)Ipconfig command 4)arp command 5)winipcfg command

The answers are 3&5. Unless I read wrong someplace I thought Win98 doesnt recognise Ipconfig as it's an almost identical newer version of winipcfg?

Any pointers most appreciated.

2. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

As far as I am aware mr nice 3 & 5 are the correct answers, Ipconfig command was in some versions of 98ME.

Certifications: Elec & Eelc Eng A+
    WIP: CCNA-CCNP
  3. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Whats 98ME? are Win98 and WinME not entirely different O/S? I know it's Ipconfig in ME.

4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

The answers are 4 and 5.

winipcfg is used for the win9x versions and
    arp "Displays and modifies the IP-to-Physical address translation tables used by address resolution protocol (ARP)."

To see how this works open a command prompt and type arp, you'll see all the switches you can use. Type arp -a and see what you get.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Ipconfig also works in Win98 (used it today, so yes, I'm sure !) Might just be in SE tho - not sure...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Sorry Nugget, I have the answer sheet and it has 3 & 5 as correct. I just dont understand why? I know what they all do but thought Ipconfig and winipcfg were the same but for different O/S?

7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Maybe it's as Jak pointed out. My problem is I have absolutely no experience with win9x OS's.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i've never used winipcfg, i think even 95 had ipconfig (could be wrong, wasnt networking much back then)
    i thought the differences were winipcfg was a gui thing, ipconfig was cli based,
    but yes you can use them both to determine ip details, so 3 and 5 should be correct

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the feedback :biggrin