Experience

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Outkastar, May 8, 2005.

1. Outkastar

Outkastar New Member

Hi all, I'm not new to computers (been building and blowing them up for a few years now :D ) but i was just wondering what kind of experience employers look for. I will hopefully be doing my A+ exam soon and any advice would be brilliant as I'm not sure where to start. Thanks

Certifications: CompTIA A+
    WIP: CompTIA N+, MCSA
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Every job demands some sort of experience.
    Not only does it demonstrate your technnical skills, but also other valuable assets like working in a team.
    Don't let these demands put you off applying for a job. It's just another way of cutting down on the number of applicants. If you interview well, you're still in with a chance. Depends on the job you're going for.
    At the end of the day, everyone has to start somewhere.
    I spent 3 years at university studying civil engineering. At no time in those 3 years was I given a spade and a wheelbarrow and told to mix concrete.
    Some skills you learn in a classroom and others in the field.
    I've always tried to supplement my training with some practical projects to see if I can put things together. It's still experience.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Council jobs are probably the best for giving away clues as to what they are looking for! This is because they normally dish out a Person Specification with the Job description and if you match up to that specification then you'll get enough points to get an interview!

As for business, if they're descriptive enough in the advert then try to fit to that description but don't bend the truth too much! Try and match your real life experience with the position and heavily promote the "On-going Professional Development". They'll love that one as you then become cheap to them, no need to cough up for fromal training etc!

If they're not very descriptive then that usually means that they don't know themselves. This can be good and bad: good because you may be able to pursuade them that they need you, or bad because they are casting the net out further to see what they can get! Either way a quick call to the HR dept will let you know whether it's worth going for the position!

Thats the best advice I can give, all you can do is promote what you know and what you are working towards...and don't forget that attitude and personal qualities can get you through the door even without those MCPs etc!

Hope that helps

Sacha

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Good points.
    I've found in the few interviews I've had that you tend to be interviewed by an HR type who is generally impressed by such things as on-going education and the fact that you had the initiative to go for a certification alone.
    Hard-core IT types who may see straight through your abilities are generally terribly bad at interviewing as it involves speaking to another person.

(footnote: this post has been exagerated somewhat in the interest of a sense of humour. IT guys who interview all their own staff, please don't slaughter me over this. Unless you haven't got one*)

* I mean a sense of humour.

5. drum_dude

Thanks JonnyMX, much appreciated mate!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  6. Outkastar

Outkastar New Member

Thanks guys that's really useful :D

7. dave57uk

dave57uk New Member

I've recently passed A+ & Network+ & am working towards MCSA & MCSE (all self financed). But am still unable to secure any interviews,despite on average 10 applications per day, probably due to the fact that most employers are asking for minimum 1yrs experience in IT support. How can you gain experience if employers are not prepared to burden themselves with some responsibility for training/work experience. Looks like its off to McDonalds to get an application form as they are paying more per hr than some phone support positions. :cry:

Certifications: ECDL, A+ & Network +
    WIP: MCSA
  8. NenMaster

NenMaster Bit Poster

what are good IT Job sites?

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Core And OS
  9. tc27

tc27 Bit Poster

The only advice is to keep trying, eventually you will find the job that gives you that vital first foothold in the rockface.

Certifications: None....
    WIP: Seeing where my job takes me!
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

That might well be true.
    But after a few years at McDonalds you'll still be on that same wage.
    Where might you be with an IT certification and a couple of years helpdesk experience after that time?
    You've got to start somewhere, and unfortunately it's usually at the bottom.

11. drum_dude

Well said JonnyMX!

But i'm of the opinion that there is more then meets the eye on that post! It's not your typical "firt time post" that you'd get off someone...unless it's a prompt for a flame war!

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Aw no, not again.
    Oh well, benefefit of the doubt.
    Innocent until proven...

13. Outkastar

Outkastar New Member

So what dave57uk is saying is that not many companies are prepared to give you a chance to prove yourself to them and show that you do want to learn and get on. I'm working at a supermarket at the mo but would really love to work in IT so I was thinking of firing of some letters to IT companies to see if they had vacancies and seeing if i can start there. Do you think this is a good idea?

14. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I certainly do. If you don't try, then you'll never get there. IT don't just fall from the sky (unfourtunatly).

IT is an over subscribed industry, and there is ton's of competition out there for most jobs. You've just got to prove that you are the better hire than the next guy. Also, you cannot be fussy about what you take, remember that if you wanna move up, you gotta start at the bottom. No one (sensible anyway) would hire someone that has no experience into a network or system admin job. Look through the forums here, there is plenty of good advice for those looking to get into the industry.

Also, to dave57uk, you may be right that you can make more money working at McDonalds when you start, but would you look forward to goin in everyday, and have the satisfaction that you are doing something you love, and gaining more experience in order to move onto something better paying and more enjoyable? Keep that in mind. With a defeatist attitude, you've already lost the battle. Keep your chin up. :)

end of ramble LOL

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  15. dave57uk

dave57uk New Member

Re my earlier post it was genuinely my 1st post on here & it wasnt meant to be inflammatory. The reference to McDonalds was meant to be a tongue in cheek comparison to qualified versus unqualified occupations and being paid a fair wage. The point being that within commuting distance (whole of London & Kent) the best 1st line support, without experience, I have come across is approx £225 a wk which is ok but in reality would not cover rent & council tax pr mnth. I see that some of my detractors do not have the problem of paying London housing costs, & before it is suggested I am not in a position to move due to family commitments. I have no problem with starting at the bottom & would welcome starting anywhere ( I have even written offering to take unpaid work experience) to no avail, I am far from defeatist ....just angry with companys failing to invest in people who have tried to better themselves by gaining further education. Sorry for the long waffle just felt my point obviously needed further explanation.

16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Don't worry mate.
    If you stick around, you'll get chance to prove your honest intentions.
    Location is a real problem. The areas with the jobs are expensive. Having said that, IT is everywhere. I bet even McDonalds has an IT department if you're interested. :D
    The best thing you can do is emphasize the things that you do well to compensate for lack of IT experience. Time management, analytical problem solving, being part of a team...
    Most HR types (I used to be one) realise that they are taking on a new team member who has to fit in and be an asset to the company as a whole. Sure, the IT manager has given them a sheet of paper with 'must know this, type so fast' but you need to show that you are more than that.

I changed jobs once within my own area of expertise. Same job, different company. Ten years experience, and it didn't make it an awful lot easier!

17. drum_dude

Don't get that?? This has always been the case whether it be GCSEs, A Levels or even degrees!

No I don't have the problem of London living costs (???) I just have to struggle with Worcestershire living costs...you know bedsits are approx over 100,000 grand to buy, fuel is now 90 odd pence a litre, rail links are shite...and salaries don't match the cost of living, just like in London!

We're all struggling with the same thing! But do you see any of us venting our anger on this forum as our 1st and 2nd posts???

NO!!!

18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well I live in south Wales.
    My house cost £2,000 to buy, petrol is 12p per bucket and we discovered electricity last year so I got to plug my PC in at last.

19. dave57uk

dave57uk New Member

Nice lighthearted & understanding cpl of posts JonnyMX thanks. Drum_dude this this wasnt meant for an invite for a slanging match,it was just some advice & warning to Outkastar and hopefully some friendly discussion. Thats what forums are for are they not?

20. drum_dude

Well an introduction to who you are and what your trying to do would be informative to us all, and not to mention polite too!

Wading in with a flamer/spammer style "warning" and using this forum to vent frustrations that we all are most certainly aware of is not an ideal way of introducing yourself.

How do you expect us to take you seriously if we don't know who you are?