Experience vs certification: The winner?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mr.Cheeks, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Experience vs certification: The winner?

With IT outsourcing and offshoring on the rise, technology professionals in Australia have been forced to upgrade their skills and turn to industry certification to stay ahead. But are they on the right path?

There is no single, definite answer to this although some believe industry certification has lost its lustre.

"Certification is somewhat losing its value within organisations in the broader corporate context.

"Today's corporate IT staff and management must be as accountable towards the business success as the rest of the organisation comprising other functional units such as production, finance, and logistics," said veteran IT professional from Victoria Ernst Zimmer.....

To read the rest of this article, click here...

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

A good topic actualy. A lot of people think about this, is it better to have a certification or wait and have some work experience first and then get the certification, etc. I think that experience is the most important factor to consider, because you have actualy performed the task involved. On the other hand a certification also demonstrates the skill of an IT professional, but nowadays the certifications are not as valued as they used to, simply do to the fact of "paper certified techs" in other words people that use braindumps to pass the exam are not realy qualified to be a technician since they dont realy know much. So what happens when they apply for an interview if they answer wrong, and their explanations are not clear or consice red flags go up.

But its definitly intereseting to know these days how certifications are compared to the real experience.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well, I work with some people who can take a lot of Cisco routers, and in 30 minutes have a 20 point spoke/hub setup and running great, and they've never taken the first test. Then again, I also work with some people who are CCNA's who can't even show me what version of firmware a router is runing.

Personally, I'll take a person any day who can show me they know what they are doing, certs or no certs.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+